Views
Helpful
Replies

Same Network in different context

fernanrl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to have the same network in different contexts.

Thanks a lot,

Fer

5 Replies 5

fernanrl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just to be even more precise, could I have the same interface or subinterface in different contexts?

Thanks,

Fer

Hi,

Sory to evryon. I think I found the answer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080450b42.html#wp1116132

The problem I have found now is that it says I cant use VPN...but could I use an external appliance such as VPN concentrator, couldn´t I?

Regards,

Fer

Patrick Iseli
Level 7
Level 7

Yes it is possible to have the same network eg 10.0.0.0/8 on multiple context if they do not communicate to each others. Otherwise you will have conflicting networks and routing issues. You can solve this with NAT but can get tricky.

You could also have multiple contexts that are connected on the same network.

Context 1 = 10.0.0.1

Context 2 = 10.0.0.2

Just be sure that routing is working fine.

What exactly is your goal ?

sincerely

Patrick

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The problem comes as follow: Imagine that a packet for the net 10.0.0.0/8 comes in and this net is in two different context. Every context have different rules for this net. How does the pix behave?.

Further more. Imagine the customer internal networks has severla Vlans. As per requiriment we must configure the same physical interface several logic interfaces (subinterfaces). Can we have two or more contexts assigned to the same subinterface/net?

Example:

Context A: Internal Subnet X, External Subnet Y

Context B: Internal Subnet X, External Subnet Z

A y B must share the same internal subnet in both contexts. Is this possible? How?

The pixes I will be using are two PIX 535 in HA (Active - Active) with a licence for 5 virtual contexts.

Thanks a lot,

Fer

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The problem comes as follow: Imagine that a packet for the net 10.0.0.0/8 comes in and this net is in two different context. Every context have different rules for this net. How does the pix behave?.

Further more. Imagine the customer internal networks has severla Vlans. As per requiriment we must configure the same physical interface several logic interfaces (subinterfaces). Can we have two or more contexts assigned to the same subinterface/net?

Example:

Context A: Internal Subnet X, External Subnet Y

Context B: Internal Subnet X, External Subnet Z

A y B must share the same internal subnet in both contexts. Is this possible? How?

The pixes I will be using are two PIX 535 in HA (Active - Active) with a licence for 5 virtual contexts.

Thanks a lot,

Fer