Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP issues

kradjesh13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I configured 2 pools of DHCP with different subnet range in my switch. The second pool leases the IP address to its client mechines and works fine.

I am having issues with the first pool. The client machines takes more than 45 seconds and I can see "Acquiring network address" and after acquiring "Limited or no connectivity" with default windos range of 169.254.xxx.xxx. This happens only while connecting through the wireless interface, but while connecting using a cable between the router and the system every thing is perfect.

I am pretty much confused, since I am using the same set of configurations and one works and the other does’t work properly. I also used helper address, but its of no use. If any one know what is happening, plz help me in fixing up the issues.

Thanks

Rajesh

7 Replies 7

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Rajesh,

Since you are only having problems when using the wireless interface, that implies that there is a problem with the wireless connectivity, and not the DHCP server. I would suggest hard-coding an IP address on the client machines first to verify that the wireless access is working fine or not. Then, you can go about troubleshooting the DHCP issues.

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

When i hard-coded the IP address, i can able to ping with other mechines on different vlans. So, we can say that commnication is taking place.

I did a search in the net and some say that its router configuration issue and others say its windows sp2 issue. But, i am not in a position to accept both. Since, my router works fine for one set of Vlan and its pool and it dosent work for another Vlan.

Thanks Paresh for your quick reply.

Regards

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

Are you in a position to run any of the following debugs to see whether or not you are receiving the DHCP messages from your clients:

debug ip dhcp server packet

debug ip dhcp server events

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

I saved my configs and restarted my router. Now, i cannot ping the Hard-coaded ip which i pinged earlier.

Even now i can able to get the IP address from one pool and cannot be able to get ip from the other pool.

I have attached the configs along with the debugged output which works properly. I d't get any debugged output for the non working one.

Thanks

Rajesh

Hi,

Is there any one to suggest me what is wrong with my configuration.

Hope some one will be helping me in fixing my issues.

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

It does appear that your issue is related to the wireless setup and not DHCP since you don't even see the DHCP messages coming in. Unfortunately, I haven't done much work with setting up wireless connectivity so I can't advise you on how to go about fixing it.

Paresh

Thanks Paresh.

Same here.. i also haven't worked much with wireless networks. But i have configured wireless setups using a single SSID which is up and working fine. I thought of moving one step ahead by adding one more SSID and here there is a real need.

Because of this i am redesigning my network.

Anyhow thanks for your reply Paresh.

Rajesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: