DFM Alerts not clearing

Answered Question

LMS251 - I have a few alerts in DFM Alerts and Activities that are stale and I cant seem to clear. I've acknowledged them but they still show as 'Active' since Dec 2005 and Feb 10th 2006.

The alerts specifically are:

InsufficientFreeMemory, STP Topology Change and Operationally Down. - All of which I would expect to have cleared as we rebooted the switch a few weeks back to solve the memory problem.

Does anyone know of a way of clearing _all_ the alerts?

Thanks in advance.

J.

Correct Answer by sfenderson about 11 years 5 months ago

I have this same problem and its a defect in DFM. Hopefully this will be fixed in SP4. Its hard to believe there is no delete button on the DFM alert screen to delete these. I had a TAC case open on this and they showed me how to delete them. This is what you do:

1) First they gave me a simple SQL file that looks like this:

delete from epm_alarm where id=3200

delete from epm_alarm_history where id=3200

delete from epm_alarm_properties where id=3200

delete from epm_alarm_annotations where id=3200

delete from epm_alarm_impacts where moid=366

delete from epm_condition_history where moid=366

This file is called delalm.sql and is placed in NMSROOT\objects\db\scripts.

Before you use it you replace the number after id= and moid= with numbers specific for the Alert you want to delete. The next steps will show you how to get these numbers.

2) From a command prompt change the current directory to NMSROOT\bin and enter the command "epm". This will give you the epm-shell> prompt. Get the alert ID from the DFM alert screen and enter the command "convert tonumber xxxxxxx" where the xxxxxxx is the alert ID. This will return a decimal number that represents the alert.

3) Still from the epm-shell> prompt enter the command "show alarm id xxxx". This will list details about the alarm including its MOID number.

4) Edit the delalm.sql file and replace the first 4 lines with the decimal alert number you got from above. Replace the last 2 lines with the MOID number you got from above. Save the file. I used notepad to edit the file.

5) Still from the epm-shell> prompt enter the command "db execute delalm.sql".

Repeat this procedure for each stale alert. The alerts will clear at the next screen refresh on the DFM alert screen.

Hope this helps.

Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
sfenderson Fri, 03/17/2006 - 11:35
User Badges:

I have this same problem and its a defect in DFM. Hopefully this will be fixed in SP4. Its hard to believe there is no delete button on the DFM alert screen to delete these. I had a TAC case open on this and they showed me how to delete them. This is what you do:

1) First they gave me a simple SQL file that looks like this:

delete from epm_alarm where id=3200

delete from epm_alarm_history where id=3200

delete from epm_alarm_properties where id=3200

delete from epm_alarm_annotations where id=3200

delete from epm_alarm_impacts where moid=366

delete from epm_condition_history where moid=366

This file is called delalm.sql and is placed in NMSROOT\objects\db\scripts.

Before you use it you replace the number after id= and moid= with numbers specific for the Alert you want to delete. The next steps will show you how to get these numbers.

2) From a command prompt change the current directory to NMSROOT\bin and enter the command "epm". This will give you the epm-shell> prompt. Get the alert ID from the DFM alert screen and enter the command "convert tonumber xxxxxxx" where the xxxxxxx is the alert ID. This will return a decimal number that represents the alert.

3) Still from the epm-shell> prompt enter the command "show alarm id xxxx". This will list details about the alarm including its MOID number.

4) Edit the delalm.sql file and replace the first 4 lines with the decimal alert number you got from above. Replace the last 2 lines with the MOID number you got from above. Save the file. I used notepad to edit the file.

5) Still from the epm-shell> prompt enter the command "db execute delalm.sql".

Repeat this procedure for each stale alert. The alerts will clear at the next screen refresh on the DFM alert screen.

Hope this helps.

Actions

This Discussion