cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why this 6509 module reset caused system restart?

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

I had a 6509 switch recycled power to its 6748-GE-TX module. I like to understand why this module reset caused the system to restart, and what this "system restart" means. Please see the syslog messages (I didn't include all messages).

Thanks

Gary

-------------------

Mar 16 09:52:49.452 EST: %OIR-SP-3-PWRCYCLE: Card in module 9, is being power-cycled off (Module experiencing Port asic error)

Mar 16 09:52:49.720 EST: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 9 set off (Module experiencing Port asic error) 00:00:04: %SYS-CFC9-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Mar 16 09:53:57.497 EST: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 9, interfaces are now online

1 Reply 1

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gary,

The message is a bit misleading. The "system restarted" message is coming from the CFC daughter card on the module

"%SYS-CFC9-5-RESTART: System restarted -"

So the entire switch did not restart, but just the module and daughter card. Now, I'm saying that based on the provided messages. You should check the system uptime in the "show ver" and/or the reset logs stored in the NVRAM log "show log" as well.

But, as I said, if the only indication of "System restarted" was in the above syslog, then that's only referring to the CFC.

HTH,

Bobby