Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practise for VTP Transparent?

When I configure Cisco switches unless there is a specific reason to use VTP (legacy network) I would normally configure VTP Transparent (or if its a recent CatOS switch disable VTP). I understand Server, Client & Transparent concepts but was wondering about the VTP Domain Name when using Transparent mode.

I would normally configure VTP Transparent before anything else on the switch but don't configure a VTP Domain Name:

cat-2950#sho vtp status

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 0

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 250

Number of existing VLANs : 8

VTP Operating Mode : Transparent

VTP Domain Name :

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x73 0xC8 0xF8 0x2C 0xB1 0x67 0xB6 0xC4

Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 0-0-00 00:00:00

Are there any issues with not configuring a VTP Domain Name?

Andy

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Will it let you create vlans without a domain name ? For some reason it seemed like you had to have a domain name even in transparent to create a vlan at least on catos , not sure about IOS . We just put one in anyway . If not then there should not be any issues that I can think of .

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Waht kind of issue are referring to? VTP transparent as you know would not send VTP, so not having a domain name would be okay since no VTP is sent from this switch anyway. As for creating a vlan on a VTP transparent, you should and will be able to do that as well. And from the sho vtp stat, it looks like you've already created 3 new vlans as it should have 5 vlans by default. I can't think if any issues.

Yes you can create VLAN's without a VTP domain name and in Transparent mode, or at least on Catalyst IOS you can.

The issue I was thinking of was when you take a vanilla switch and connect it to an existing switch with a trunk and the new switch inheriting the VTP domain name and vlan database. For example if I configure up a 2950 as a VTP server with a domain name of VTP and then create VLAN's 10, 20 & 30. If I then take an unconfigured 2950 (or one that has had the configuration erased and the vlan.dat file removed) and put a cross-over cable between them, an 802.1q trunk link will be formed and the 'new' 2950 will inherit the VTP domain name VTP and the vlan database containing VLAN 10, 20 & 30.

Will the VTP domain name be inherited if the switch was set to Transparent before it was connected?

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco