Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Center Core based on EoMPLS ?

duchesne_ced
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We've currently a data center based on Layer 2 with many inter building links blocked by STP. To simplify a little bit the layer 2 topology (and improve inter-building link usage) i would like to introduce EoMPLS inside my Data Center core.

Is that a good idea ? or something to rapidly forget ?

regards

Cedric

3 Replies 3

s-doyle
Level 3
Level 3

I don't think it is a better idea to deploy EoMPLS in data centre core. You can check the guideline for deploying EoMPLS

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750m/12114ax/3750mscg/swmpls.htm#wp1047292

SECONDSIGHT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

i beleive that if you want to increase your core network speed and make sure it is more resiliant , also to take more advantage of load balancing , that it would be alot simple to move from a L2 core to a L3 one.

Dependent on how big your core is , it will improve responce time and make routing much more efficent.

HTH

Steve

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

EoMPLS is overkill for the goal presented. Basically you would introduce Layer3 in the core (needed for MPLS) and then use MPLS to make the core look like Layer2 ...

More simple approaches:

Either tune your STP (or better use Rapid Per VLAN STP or MVST) to get some load balancing and also convergence speed.

Or convert to a L3 core - i.e. IP routed. The latter step might require IP readdressing, which can be a major pain. On the other hand you then have separated broadcast (and failure) domains, nice load balancing, fast convergence and no more big STP hassle.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: