cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP from a 1721?

Dale_Bosley
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to make my 1721 router the DHCP server as well.

I am replacing a linksys unit that did this and I need the Cisco to do it as well.

If you would include the configs or a link to them it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dale

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dale,

default-router command will be the ip address which you want your clinets to get as a defaut gateway.

As an example if you are configuring your router as DHCP server for your machines in lan then your machines should also get default gateway also fom DHCP server which should be the lan interface of your router so default-router command will make that wprk for you.

HTH, if yes please rate all post.

Ankur

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Dale,

Yes ofcourse 1721 can be configured as DHCP server.

The config will look as follows

ip dhcp pool

network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

default-router x.x.x.x

!

ip dhcp excluded-address

Check this link to get the details of each and every command which I have mentioned in my config above

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipras_r/1rfdhcp.htm

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Ankur,

Thanks for your quick reply, yes this looks like this will work, but I have one question. What is the default-router supposed to be. The router I'm putting these commands on is also the gateway router to the internet. do I make it the address of this router?

Please advise.

I will rate the post highly if you can explain this part to me

Thanks

Dale

Dale

The address you put in there will usually be the router interface address. Remember that you are configuring the router to act as a DHCP server and to supply addressing information to PCs that will connect on that subnet. The default router is the default gateway for those PCs and will almost always the be router interface address for that subnet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Dale,

default-router command will be the ip address which you want your clinets to get as a defaut gateway.

As an example if you are configuring your router as DHCP server for your machines in lan then your machines should also get default gateway also fom DHCP server which should be the lan interface of your router so default-router command will make that wprk for you.

HTH, if yes please rate all post.

Ankur

Ankur

Thank you very much for your help.

Yes that solved my issue

Thanks

Dale