cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client authentication problem with IOS running TACACS

lenny.lim
Level 1
Level 1

When prompted for user authentication, it won't accept the credentials though it is valid from the ACS database. But when the router is configured for local authentication it works.

Can someone pls help

5 Replies 5

m.sir
Level 7
Level 7

Can you check ACS failed attemts??

try in ACS from left menu - Reports and activity than Failed attepmts

You can find there some error message - it could help you debug problem

M.

Rate useful posts

liamkennedy
Level 1
Level 1

i've had the exact same problem (see my post in the AAA forum)

try using radius instead - ie add the router into ACS as a radius client, configure radius authentication on the router and then change to using "group radius" instead of "group tacacs+" in the router aaa config.

this worked for me, but I still haven't been able to get tacacs working and am beginning to suspect its a bug.

I remember I had similar problems, it was really some bug

solution was following

instead

tacacs-server host 10.250.1.21

tacacs-server key yourkey

try

tacacs-server host 10.250.1.21 key yourkey

Hope that helps, rate if it does

didn't work for me

I should add - tacacs is working fine for telnet authentication and authorization on the same router.

I did some debugging and it very much looked like the router was receiving the password from the client but not sending it onto ACS. ACS kept replying "GET_PASSWORD"

liamkennedy
Level 1
Level 1

i fixed this by upgrading to 12.4 - this seems to be a bug in a number of versions of 12.3.

xauth sends the password to the router, but the router doesn't send the password to the tacacs server. this is why you don't get a failed login in the logs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: