Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Bandwidth Management

mansoor_nawaz78
Level 1
Level 1

Can i manage bandwidth for a VLAN, I mean can i fix a Bandwidth on VLAN, e.g,

If i apply 250Kbps for a VLAN 101 , evry client shared this bandwidth, if total customer in VLAN 100 is 10, each use 25Kbps bandwidth .

Thank You.

4 Replies 4

leighharrison
Level 7
Level 7

Hi there,

Yes you can do this, but you would do it in QoS. In the class-map you would match on either the vlan or the IP address and then in the policy-map, you would shape to 250k on the egress ports on the box

That would sort it.

LH

Thank You for a response,

I have a 3550(VTP mode Server) where all VLANs are established, and other 2950(VTP Mode Client) are connected with this 3550 Switch, If i developed a policy of 250Kbps on a 3550 accross a VLAN will it start to work ?

Hey there,

Yes it will - providing you've got the layer 3 functionality. In the class map, match on either the vlan or ref. an access list and grab the network range. The other vlans/networks will not be referenced and will take as much bandwidth as they can (as per normal)

LH

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Mansoor,

Which switch do you have. Cat45K and 65K supports vlan rate limiting. Please see the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800946e9.shtml

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: