Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 -> 3560 lost egress policer functionality

mholbrook1
Level 1
Level 1

Need some guidance here.

On a 3550 I normally set up rate-limiting on a per-port basis to provide internet service or other rate-based services to customers. As such I need to be able to apply ingress and egress service policies to an interface. In other words, I set the upload and download speeds that are then sold to customers as a service at that level.

Now that we are migrating to 3560s, I have hit a roadblock, in that the command that I used to use to assign a service policy to an interface on egress is no longer supported on the 3560 (and 3750) series of switches.

So, previously I might have defined something like the following:

mls qos aggregate-policer Out 5000000 2000000 exceed-action drop

mls qos aggregate-policer In 5000000 2000000 exceed-action drop

mls qos

class-map match-all DSCP

match ip dscp default

policy-map In

class DSCP

police aggregate In

policy-map Out

class DSCP

police aggregate Out

interface fastethernet0/1

service-policy input In

service-policy output Out

I can get as far as the last line on a 3560, where it states that:

Warning: Assigning a policy map to the output side of an interface not supported

I have looked around on Cisco's website and I see that some things have changed and that now "shaping" is how egress traffic is handled. I haven't been able to find a straightforward guide as to how to configure an equivalent for the command I used to do.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

4 Replies 4

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

the "service-policy output" is indeed not supported on the 3560/3750 switches due to an ASIC limitation. See if "srr-queue bandwidth limit" command will work for you, here is the link to the configuration details:

Limiting the Bandwidth on an Egress Interface

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12225sed/scg/swqos.htm#wp1253412

HTH,

GNT

Hi,

we are having similar probelms with 3560. Looking at the srr commands it will only allow us to set a percentage (10) of max interface bandwidth ie 10Mbit or 1Mbit depending on port speed. Is it possible to assign a lower rate ie 512kbits?

etoman
Level 1
Level 1

The Catalyst 2960/2970/3560/3750 switches support "SRR" instead of WRR. SRR is the ability to support shared or shaped round robin queuing. Sharing is like wrr i.e. a minium b/w guarantee but can get more if available. Shaping overrides sharing when configured, and rate limits traffic to not exceed the specified rate.

Example on a 3560

int fa0/1

srr-queue bandwidth share 1 70 25 5

srr-queue bandwidth shape 4 0 0 0

This results in Queue #1 being shaped to 1/4 of the B/W of the interface i.e. it cannot exceed 1/4 of the B/W of the interface. Queue 2 gets 70/(70+25+5) percent of the b/w minimum, but can get more if available. Similarly Queue #3 gets 25(70+25+5) % of the B/W etc.

These are topics I address at length in the Advanced Cisco QoS course I put together for Global Knowledge and teach for them.

rasoftware
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you manage to get this working? We basically use the same policers as yourself in a similar situation. I am hoping to upgrade to 3560 but the egress rate limiting issues are concerning me. 3550 is now end of life.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: