Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable HTTP on FWSM 2.3

willson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice on whether we should enable the web interface on our FWSM 2.3(3)2. We just upgraded from 1.1, which had it disabled because I was told it wasn't worth the security risk. Is the web interface in 2.3(3)2 any better? I sure would like something easier to use than the CLI, especially for viewing logs etc.

TIA,

Jim

6 Replies 6

Patrick Laidlaw
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

The 2.3(3)2 pdm is not the best management software in the world if your just using it for monitoring that would probably be fine. I wouldn't use it for making configuration changes.

To answer your question its not going to open a big hole if you have your permit "http x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 inside" statement is only specifying specific hosts.

Patrick

Patrick,

How is it for viewing stats, like ACLs, hits, etc.? Is it even worth enabling?

Thanks,

Jim

Well it depends on what your use to. If you know exatly what you want its usually easier with command line. Viewing stats in it is ok mostly because there is usually things that you can monitor that you may not have thought to look at from the command line.

Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for the advice.

Jim

Jim,

No problem if you find that you really like it let me know what it is that you enjoyed. I'm just waiting for it to be more like ASDM.

Patrick

Patrick,

It appears I need to upgrade the PDM image, since I am getting an error stating such. Anything to look out for in this process, or is it pretty much straight forward?

JIm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: