cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

backups through new 3550 dying?

slug420
Level 1
Level 1

I come mostly from the security side so its possible this is something simple that I am over looking....

We got a new 3550 to replace a linksys switch that had been between our internet router and the firewall with our public servers on it.

12.2(25) of IOS

Switch#show int status

Port Name Status Vlan Duplex Speed Type

Fa0/1 connected 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/2 connected 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/3 connected 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/4 connected 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/5 connected 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/6 connected 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/7 connected 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/8 connected 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/9 notconnect 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/10 notconnect 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/11 notconnect 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/12 notconnect 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Fa0/13 notconnect 1 full 100 10/100BaseTX

Every night we have backups from a couple of the servers on the switch to another server on the switch. Ever since putting the cisco in, these backups fail. We put the linksys back for one night and they worked fine, put the cisco back and they failed. I checke the logs this morning after last night's failure and it looks like the interfaces on the switch bounced a couple times (dont appear to be a perfect time match for the backups but im checking with the sys admin to make sure the servers didnt jus thave a scheduled reboot).

In general though I dont know what could be wrong, all interfaces are set to 100full all in the same vlan, everything can communicate fine until the backup and after the backup and it all works on a dumb linksys switch....what could be wrong?

here is the message from the sysadmin:

The backup is doing the same thing it did last time. I'll give an idea of

how this is going below. b= backup start time v=verify start time

Normal:

roww.gomor.net b = 12:30 v = 12:51

hepto.gomor.net b = 1:28 v = 1:47

trip.gomor.net b = 2:10 v = 3:10

Basically, everything is done by 4:15am.

TODAY:

roww.gomor.net b = 12:30 v = 12:51

hepto.gomor.net b = 1:28 v = 2:39

trip.gomor.net b = 10:48 v = ?

The trip.gomor.net master backup is stuck in the que, and the tape has

stopped running.

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are the server NICs set to 100 full or Autonegotiate?

Brandon

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

Can you confirm what is the config on your ports on which servers are connected. Do they have the default config?

If it is in default config they will be in vlan 1 but ports will be in dynamic desirable mode which keeps on sending DTP packets to form a trunk and you need not require this on ports on which servers are connected. So you can configure your ports with static acess mode

"switchport mode access" on all the interfaces on which servers are connected.

Also you can configure "spanning-tree portfast" on each interface where you have conected servers.

I hope if you configure above commands it may resolve your backup problem.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

that did not fix it, any other suggestions?

Hello,

on the affected interfaces, try and set the flow control for received frames to ´on´ (´off´ is the default), e.g.:

interface FastEthernet0/10

flowcontrol receive on

and check if that makes a difference.

Regards,

GNT

d-garnett
Level 3
Level 3

Run the 'show interfaces' command for whatever interfaces the servers are on and check the input/output queue drops, throttles, crc, and overrun counts.

also.......

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.html

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/inter_r/irdshoin.htm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: