Views
Helpful
Replies

Encapsulation problem

gopal_4476
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have etherman plus circute terminated in our router fastethernet port and we also created subinterface on this and the encapsulation for the subinterface is dot1q and for phisical interface is 802.1q.

The problem is the link is not coming up when i see the interface status it shows interface is up and protocol is down.

I have changed the duples and speed and tried and removed the encapsulation on logical interface also... but link has not come up.

Please help me in this regard and suggest what i have to do ... or i am missing somthing??

Regards,

Gopal

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Gopal,

Seems to be some cabling issue. Can you confirm which cable are you using to connect to router : straight cable or cross cable?

etherman plus is a layer 2 service? If yes we need straigh cable.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

We have tried straing and cross cable but still problem remains same and more over i have tried changing the speed and duples also..

Please suggest is there any debug command to check the encapsulation on logical interface... if it is so pls let me know.

Regards,

Gopal

Hi Gopal,

The default encapsulation on ethernet interface is arpa so can you check the same on other end.

Regards,

Ankur

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

From your statements above you state that you have the physical interface set for dot1q and the subinterface set for dot1q. I dont think that you should set the physical interface for dot1q trunking. Leave it as default. It is the subinterfaces that need to have encapsulation modified with the trunking and vlan that they will be...Try taking the encap for the physical off and default it....Good Luck...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: