cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

advertising networks

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Can anyone tell me why we have to advertise the networks that would be on my serial links i.e if I had 2 routers with serials on the same subnet, and othe networks on the ethernet interfaces, why can we just advertise the networks on the ethernets, why would we have to advertise the serials that are on the same subnet anyway ?

3 Replies 3

stephtchoko
Level 3
Level 3

the way of network command depend in routing protocol, please which ip protocol are you talking about ?

Regards.

I am using eigrp !!

thanks

Hi Carl,

The reason for that is any routing protocol only gets activated for that interfaces if their ip or network are defined in that routing protocol configuation.

For suppose on your router eigrp config you do not include your serial interface network then eigrp will not work for serial interface and will only work for ethernet interface and if eigrp will not work for serial then the 2 routers on serial interface will not become neighbor for eigrp and will not carry ethernet network via serial to advertise to the remote end.

Now ethernet interface network is a part of eigrp but serial interface network is not so eigrp will not carry any information on interfaces which are not its part.

Once you configure serial interface network also in router eigro config eigrp will become active on serial interface also and will form a neighbor with the remote end and will carry ethernet interface network to the remote end.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco