Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp load balancing

rajeshk200_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two internet links connected two different routers and running hsrp between them.

internet link connected to hsrp active router only utilised and the link connected to standby router sitting idle?

I am thinking of loadbalancing of two links ?

the option i am thinking is traffic exit thro ACTIVE hsrp router and enter thro' standby router is this option will serve my purpose ? if not any suggestion ?

Regards,

Rajesh

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Rajesh,

Why don't you configure MHSRP which will let you use both the routers.

You can configure multiple groups in HSRP and can load balance on same subnet.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12225sec/3750scg/swhsrp.htm#wp1061629

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Rajesh,

Why don't you create two HSRP groups with half your workstations pointing to one and the other half pointing to the other ? That way, you will not have to have traffic undergo unnecessary hops through your active router.

You will still get redundancy when one of them fails - all traffic will just switch over to the other router.

Hope that helps - pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Hi,

I have redundant firewalls behind the hsrp routers.

hsrp virtual IP acting as gateway for both the firewalls.

the option you suggested will not fit into my environment.

Regards,

Rajesh

Rajesh,

Then what you need to do is to run IBGP between the two routers. You will need to manipulate the Local Preference of the internet routes so that the first router is the preferred exit point for these routes and the second routers is the preferred exit point for the others.

Hope that helps - pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

we have both the links from same ISP. is it possible ask provider to route the incoming traffic thro hsrp standby router link?

anyhave link in the active router used for exit traffic.

I am just thinking, but i am not sure this is possible or not.

if yes is this work without any issues or will create asymmetric routing?

Regards,

Rajesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card