Views
Helpful
Replies

how to check the bandwidth ???

gauravm
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have got an internet connection for 20 MB .i need to check for the bandwidth speed as allocated to us ...?

can anyone help me how to be sure that circuit is for 20MB or how to check it ???

Thanks

2 Replies 2

mastram4u
Level 1
Level 1

I assume , the link is an ethernet delivery.

One option of confirming the bandwidth is to simulate the traffic and see the statistic on your FE interface of the router. You can generate the traffic by downloading some large files, on multiple systems.

Other option is to check the current bandwidth by using online bandwidth meters like 2 Wire - Bandwidth Meter (http://www.2wire.com/?p=154)

stephtchoko
Level 3
Level 3

Good day,

I believe you can try:

1rst method

I will be esasy if you have many hosts locate on part of internet, with public address. These hosts will have a great bandwith.

After trying many simultaneous upload from your network to these hosts. you can use iperf tool for it.Your bandwith corresponds to value of saturation.

2nd

If you don't have many host with great bandwith in another location on internet network. you can ask to many user to launch upload and download file to many server locate in internet (yahoo, msn, www.download.com etc...), and see where the saturation appears.

your bandwith correspond to value of saturation

Please don't forget to rate this post.

Regards.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card