cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access problem to a Cisco 3500XL

PeterJacobsen
Level 1
Level 1

What will happen with a switch if another node e.g. a printer gets the same IP address at VLAN1 on the switch?

That is what happened for me. Someone accidentally give a printer the same IP address as VLAN1 on one of two switches. Nobody noted it because the printer and the switch worked well, until one day I should Telnet the switch

Then I gave the printer another IP and cleared the DHCP address pool. But I still can’t telnet or ping the switch. Otherwise the switch works fine.

Via the command “show cdp neighbour detail” on the neighbour switch, I can verify that it is the correct IP address I try to connect to, and of course I’ve Telnetted the switch before.

Why can’t I get in contact with the switch? Nothing has changed on the switch.

Is it really necessary to reboot it?

TIA

9 Replies 9

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

can u try this

interface vlan 1

shut

no shut

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood

Maybe I could, but I don't have physical acces to the switch, unless I drive 200 KM :-(

I hoped that I could do something remote ;-)

Thanks

On the router/layer3 switch at the site do a 'clear arp' and try getting to it?

Pls. rate the post if it helped.

HTH,

Sundar

Hi Sundar

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately it didn’t help.

ALso try clearing the Redirects

Clear ip redirects

Try getting into the GUI rather than Telnet. Use a browser and go to the VLAN 1 IP address.

I've had similar issues and this seems to work.

Jim

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Go to the router it is attached to then source your telnet from the directly attached interface and see if you can get to it that way , this will rule out a default gateway problem .

Tried that to - didn’t helped.

Had a similar problem once. Got someone to power the switch off/on, all cured. Drastic but.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: