cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2525

gabe406
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Cisco Token Ring 2525's and 2 Ethernet 2524's. I would like to know if I can hook up the 4 routers in any way and use them for a CCNA lab. I can't find much info on these routers that would tell me what is possible.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Two things you can do:

- get some WAN modules that you can install in each of the routers in order to connect them together

- get a translational bridge which will translate between token ring and ethernet.

Pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Ok, I think I understand. When you talk about WAN modules are talking about the FT1 and ISDN modules? I have 3 different kinds: Fractional T1, 64K CSU/DSU, ISDN and also a 5 in 1 DB60 Serial. So would I pick one type and install in both the 2525 and 2524's? Not really sure how to connect them. I am assuming I will have to buy the translational bridge?

Thanks

You will need to install the same type of WAN module on each router - then, you can simply run an appropriate serial cable between them.

The translational bridge is only required if you wish to connect up the LAN interfaces on the two routers. It may not be worth the cost/effort if you can get the WAN links going.

Pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Alright, now it makes sense. I install a Serial module in both the 2525 and 2524 then configure both interfaces for ip addresses. Then set the clock rate on the DCE connection side and I should then be able to see each other. Please let me know if this is correct ? Thanks for the help

The suggestion by Paresh about connecting the routers by serial cable is a good place to start. You should also be able to connect the 2 2524s Ethernet interfaces to each other (using Ethernet cross-over cable). If you have token ring MAUs and cables you should be able to connect both 2525s by their token ring interfaces.

The only way to connect the 2525s to 2524s is via the serial connection (or by translational bridge as Paresh suggested - but I suspect this would be more trouble than it is worth for CCNA labs).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick