cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spanning tree

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

does rstp come enabled as default on most recent switches or would i have to configure this, is there must difference ?

4 Replies 4

a.giorgi
Level 1
Level 1

I suppose came enable by default.

The main difference are:

- Costs: The maximum value in RSTP is 2000000

- Port states:

STP RSTP

Disabled Discarding

Blocking Discarding

Listening Discarding

Learning Learning

Forwarding Forwarding

- Edge ports

More rapid convergence

I recommend to read the next doc: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/146.html

I hope this help (please reate if it does)

Regards

Alberto

Francois Tallet
Level 7
Level 7

This is the default on latest CatOS release, but not yet on IOS (it's on its way though). You can enable Rapid-PVST by just setting the mode (spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst). Note that you can also run an IEEE-like RSTP, with only one instance, by using the mst mode with no configuration.

Regards,

Francois

does it make much difference than normal STP ? Also whats the differences in the IOS'S ? Is the CatOS on high end switches ?

it does make a differnce over STP as the algorithms are more efficient to allow for more rapid spanningTree convergence in the event of a topology change. (quicker network recovery than with normal stp)

CatOS is used in some of the 'higher' end switches but is starting to be phased out for IOS Switch versions. (helping to keep all cisco OS versions more similar)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: