Views
Helpful
Replies

CAR and VPN

infomil
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I try to implement CAR for limiting bandwidth used by specific trafic under an IPSec Tunnel between 2 878 routers over SDSL.

I specify access-list and use the rate-limit command under the dialer 1 interface.

The problem is that the dialer 1 interface has also the crypto map command and I think that the rate-limit command cannot work because the trafic is already encrypt when the rate-limit command is apply.

Is there an issue to my problem ???

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

you should have a look at the qos pre-classify feature. Basically the router "remembers" the original - unencrypted - header and can match based on this info. Unfortunately this is not supported by CAR, afaik. You would have to use class-based shaping, which is the better option anyhow IMHO.

An example config could be something like:

ip cef

class-map match-all Limit1

match ip address 101

class-map match-all Limit2

match protocol ftp

policy-map RateLimit

class Limit1

shape average 100000

class Limit2

shape average 64000

crypto-map MySec

qos pre-classify

interface Dialer1

service-policy output RateLimit

access-list 101 permit tcp 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.255 any eq 80

For further reading I would recommend you "Configuring QoS for Virtual Private Networks"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c75d3.html

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card