Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

ASK THE EXPERT – PREPARING FOR CCIE IN ROUTING & SWITCHING

Unanswered Question
May 19th, 2006
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update from Cisco expert Maurilio Gorito about the preparation tips for the CCIE R&S exam. Maurilio is a customer support engineer with the CCIE program at Cisco Systems, Inc. He has more than 22 years of networking experience and is a triple CCIE, with certifications in Routing & Switching (1998), WAN switching (2001) and Security (2003). Maurilio is the content manager for the CCIE R&S exams, written and lab exams and also serves as an exam proctor.

Remember to use the rating system to let Maurilio know if you have received an adequate response.

Maurilio might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through June 2, 2006. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Overall Rating: 4.5 (6 ratings)
Jsteve1001 Sat, 05/20/2006 - 13:36
User Badges:

I would like to know if the Lab Exam is still broken up into two sections:

1.You complete the Configuration task, than go to lunch

2.Come back and Trouble shoot changes that were made while you were gone?

mgorito Sat, 05/20/2006 - 21:45
User Badges:

Hello,

No, we don't break the Lab Exam in two parts. As we delivery the Lab Exam today when you walk in into the CCIE lab, in the morning you receive a booklet with the entire exam and you will work during the 8 hours you have to finish the exam.

Although we don't break the exam and we don't have a specific troubleshooting section and do expect CCIE candidates to demonstrate their Skills in troubleshooting.

Regards,

Maurilio

Jsteve1001 Mon, 05/22/2006 - 10:44
User Badges:

As for the wireless portion, will you be required to configure the Cisco 1100/1200 AP's? and/or configure point-to-point bridge segments?

bellocarico Sat, 05/20/2006 - 14:41
User Badges:

I would like to know how much IPv6 we are going to find in the lab.

Is there going to be any RIPng or OSPFv3?

Regards

mgorito Sat, 05/20/2006 - 21:50
User Badges:

Hello,

You can expect to find questions on IPv6 basic concepts like IPv6 addressing and initial configuration and then some routing protocols as RIPng and OSPFv3. These are what we test in the lab today.

Regards,

Maurilio

mgorito Sun, 05/21/2006 - 07:29
User Badges:

Hi,

Usually Ciscopress has a 2 years life cycle for a book. It is coming to the time they will decide for a revision or not of the Lab Workbook.

I suggest you to use the Cisco documentation under Cisco/Univercd as you primary source www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm.

We also suggest book list at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/rs/book_list.html. From there I suggest you to support your studies besides Cisco documentation books that will help building foundation as well exercise like Doyle's books, Solie's books and Halabi's book.

Also hands-on will definitely be a key to solidify all the concepts you are studying.

Regards,

Maurilio

leonvd79 Sun, 05/21/2006 - 21:27
User Badges:

Hello Maurillio,

Thanks for being here to share information as a member of the CCIE team.

Do you know what is keeping the Cisco Press CCIE Professional Development title "LAN Switching, Vol. I" by Kennedy Clark from surfacing? It was slated for a June release, however it seem to have disappeared from radar.

Thanks

--Leon

leonvd79 Mon, 05/22/2006 - 08:00
User Badges:

Thanks Maurillio. I have already passed my written.

But I am shure it will be helpful to others. I just sit tight and wait for the CCIE grade book to emerge.

I've found the BCMSN courseware and the Catalyst 3550 Software Configuration Guide useful for preparation along with the Online Resources posted on the CCIE website.

Best regards,

--Leon

mgorito Mon, 05/22/2006 - 11:48
User Badges:

Excellent Leon you have passed the written exam.

Just emphasizing one point you made I also suggest candidates to guide their studies from the Cisco documentation under Cisco/Univercd at www.cisco.com/univercd/home.home.htm. There w can find useful and up to date information.

Best Regards,

Maurilio

arsalanzafar Tue, 05/23/2006 - 09:46
User Badges:

Hi Maurilio,

Hope you are doing good.

I am scheduled to take the lab soon. And I have questions regaring the enviorment provided to a CCIE candidate.

1. Can we use windows notepad or text editor in the lab?

2. Is a scientific physical calculator or windows calculater provided?

3. The diagram of the lab is in one page. I mean to say are we expected to piece togeather a diagram with bits of information.

4. Are we allowed to open multiple windows of secure CRT software or we are expected to open one window and then work.

Will appreciate your replies.

Thanks

Arsalan

mgorito Tue, 05/23/2006 - 15:36
User Badges:

Hi Arsalan,

I am doing fine, thanks and I hope you are also doing well.

Answering your questions:

1. Yes, you have available Notepad to help you making notes through the day.

2. Yes, the Windows calculator is available: the standard and scientific options.

3. You will find couple of diagrams in your lab: a general IP diagram, IP routing diagram, cabling scheme diagram, etc. to guide you through the lab exam.

4. Yes, you will be allowed to open multiple CRT windows during the exam. We are standardizing all our labs with SecureCRT and most of the labs are now using it. I suggest you before your exam to contact [email protected] to confirm if the lab location where you going to take the exam is using CRT.

Best Regards,

Maurilio

Marcos.Zimmermann Tue, 05/23/2006 - 10:02
User Badges:

Hi Maurilio,

I would like to ask you some questions about the preparation of the R&S CCIE. At this time I have CCNP knowledge.

I have a LAB consisting of 8 25xx, 2 26xx and some 29xx switches all with max ram/flash. I want to use this LAB to prepare for my CCIE and take some hours in rented Racks to practice with the more expensive equipment (like 2550, 36xx, ...), which isn't in my LAB.

I plan to use the following books for my written preparation:

- CCIE Routing and Switching Official Exam Certification Guide, Second Edition

- Cisco LAN Switching, Second Edition (comming in June 2006)

- Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture

- Routing TCP/IP, Volume I, Second Edition

- Routing TCP/IP, Volume II

- Internet Routing Architectures, Second Edition

- Cisco Catalyst QoS: Quality of Service in Campus Networks

- 802.11 Wireless LAN Fundamentals

After finishing the written I plan to use to following books for the LAB preparation:

- CCIE Practical Studies Volume I

- CCIE Practical Studies Volume II

- Internetwork Expert "CCIE Routing & Switching Lab Workbook (IEWB-RS) Version 3.0"

These are the books that I want to use only as reference, during the LAB configuration:

- Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook

- Cisco Frame Relay Solutions Guide

- Cisco OSPF Command and Configuration Handbook

- Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols

- Troubleshooting Remote Access Networks

- Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks (IPv6)

I know that this is very much stuff to read, so can I delete some books of my list (some for the written for example)?

Do you think that these are enough material to prepare for the CCIE R&S?

Do you have any other suggestions?

How long do you think should I plan to prepare with these Books to get ready for the written and how long after the written to get ready for the LAB-day?

Best Regards

Marcos

mgorito Tue, 05/23/2006 - 16:11
User Badges:

Hi,

No. We have a workstation set up for each candidate. Candidates are not allowed to bring any electronic devices into the lab; also personal notes or books are not allowed.

Maurilio

Marcos.Zimmermann Tue, 05/23/2006 - 23:43
User Badges:

Hi Maurilio,

thank you very much for your detailed answer and your suggestions. Your answer give my study plan the last sharpened :-)

Best Regards

Marcos

mgorito Wed, 05/24/2006 - 08:41
User Badges:

Great Marcos,

I wish you all success on your studies and achieving the CCCIE certification.

Best Regards,

Maurilio

mgorito Thu, 06/01/2006 - 21:12
User Badges:

Hi Marcos,

You have a very good plan. I would suggest just a change in the order you listed the books. Here is what I would read first:

Written:

- CCIE Routing and Switching Official Exam Certification Guide, Second Edition (this book sets your mind when you are close to take the exam)

- Cisco Catalyst QoS: Quality of Service in Campus Networks

- 802.11 Wireless LAN Fundamentals

- Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture

- Cisco LAN Switching, Second Edition (coming in June 2006). I put this book here because this book is not released yet.

For the lab:

- CCIE Practical Studies Volume I

- CCIE Practical Studies Volume II

- Use any workbook for practice in the end of your studies.

The support books are good ones.

If you will have time to dedicate couple of hours day to study (if if will not be everyday but continuously) I would set a target of 1 year to achieve the certification, i.e. both exams: written and lab. This will depend on your pace and availability to study. For the lab alone I'd target 6-7 months of preparation.

Keep in mind that for the lab exam as much hands-on you can have more your chances to be successful.

As a last suggestion, also use the documentation under Cisco/univecd for guidance: www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm

Best Regards and success!

Maurilio

mdinham Wed, 05/24/2006 - 00:03
User Badges:

Hi Maurilio,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

Please can you confirm if Mobile IP/Mobile Networks and IPv6 Multicast are currently tested in the lab exam?

Many thanks,

Matt.

mgorito Wed, 05/24/2006 - 08:48
User Badges:

Hello Matt,

I am glad to be here. We don't test Mobile IP/Mobile Networks in the lab exam.

For IPv6 our goal is to start building the concept foundation and what we test currently is IPv6 addressing and basic configuration and Routing protocols for IPv6 most likely RIPng and OSPFv3. We will get to the point to test more features and IPv6 Multicast, IPv6 Qos, etc in a later timeframe, not in this current year.

Regards,

Maurilio

mdinham Wed, 05/24/2006 - 11:09
User Badges:

Hi Maurilio,

Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought, but I just wanted to double check as I have the lab in 2 weeks in Brussels!

Regards,

Matt.

mgorito Wed, 05/24/2006 - 11:25
User Badges:

Hi Matt,

No problem and good luck on your attempt.

Regards,

Maurilio

mostwantedtop10 Wed, 05/24/2006 - 04:38
User Badges:

Here is CCIE RS Lab equipment list, can any tell me at least how many routers and switches required for prepration in each catogary?

2621 series routers - IOS 12.3 mainline – Enterprise Basic

3640 series routers - IOS 12.3 mainline – Enterprise Plus

3725 series routers - IOS 12.4 mainline – Advanced Enterprise Services

3825 series routers - IOS 12.4 mainline – Advanced Enterprise Services

Catalyst 3550 series switches running IOS version 12.2 – IP Services

mgorito Wed, 05/24/2006 - 09:20
User Badges:

Hello,

As we announced last year we started to replace the 2621s and 3640s with 3825s. We target to have it done this current year, so consider that.

For preparation if you have 3 to 4 routers and 2 switches will be a good start. Routers with 2 FastEthernet and 2 serial interfaces work fine.

Regards,

Maurilio

mostwantedtop10 Thu, 05/25/2006 - 02:24
User Badges:

I want to setup a full LAB, can u tell me maximum how many equipments i need, e.g.

FR switch with how many interfaces?

ISDN and ATM were out from LAB?

Do i need L2 or L3 switches with EMI or SMI?

Exactly what models of routers will required?

Regards

Furqan

mgorito Thu, 05/25/2006 - 09:12
User Badges:

Hi Furgan,

1. A Frame Relay switch should as many interfaces to connect at least 3 routers with full connectivity. Per example if you have 3 routers with 2 serial interfaces each will be good if you have at least 6 serial interfaces on the Frame Relay Switch.

2. Yes, ISDN and ATM is not longer part of our content blueprints.

3. Will be good if you have switches with also L3 capability and EMI. Currently we use Catalyst 3550s but 3560s and 3760s work fine too.

4. Currently we planning to have 3825s and 3725s routers with IP Advanced Services IOS image in the lab. We are replacing the 2621s and 3640s.

Regards,

Maurilio

mgorito Wed, 05/24/2006 - 09:34
User Badges:

Hello,

We received a number of feedbacks to consider including MPLS in our Blueprints. We are studying this possibility and if this happens we usually introduce a new content in the written blueprint first and later in the lab exam. In both cases we make an announcement in advance.

Regards,

Maurilio

mgorito Wed, 05/24/2006 - 10:19
User Badges:

Hi Peter,

As of today we are not experiencing backlogs for CCIE R&S lab in Brussels. You will be able to find dates for the next 4-5 months.

To see the available dates please go to http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/rs/lab_exam.html. You will need your CCO user/password to login, then your Prometric or VUE ID, the date of your written exam and the score.

Regards,

Maurilio

arsalanzafar Wed, 05/24/2006 - 19:39
User Badges:

Thanks Maurillio for answering my last question.

I had one more.

Is the Edit->Find option avaiable in the internet explorer avaiable in the Lab.

I use this option to find a keyword after I have navigated to a DOC CD document.

Thanks

Arsalan

mgorito Thu, 05/25/2006 - 08:50
User Badges:

Hi Arsalan,

Yes, the Edit->Find is available for you to use during the exam.

Best Regards,

Maurilio

mostwantedtop10 Thu, 05/25/2006 - 03:58
User Badges:

I want to setup a full LAB, can u tell me maximum how many equipments i need, e.g.

FR switch with how many interfaces?

ISDN and ATM were out from LAB?

Do i need L2 or L3 switches with EMI or SMI?

Exactly what models of routers will required?

Regards

Furqan

mgorito Thu, 05/25/2006 - 09:13
User Badges:

Hi Furgan,

1. A Frame Relay switch should as many interfaces to connect at least 3 routers with full connectivity. Per example if you have 3 routers with 2 serial interfaces each will be good if you have at least 6 serial interfaces on the Frame Relay Switch.

2. Yes, ISDN and ATM is not longer part of our content blueprints.

3. Will be good if you have switches with also L3 capability and EMI. Currently we use Catalyst 3550s but 3560s and 3760s work fine too.

4. Currently we planning to have 3825s and 3725s routers with IP Advanced Services IOS image in the lab. We are replacing the 2621s and 3640s.

Regards,

Maurilio

pkhatri Thu, 05/25/2006 - 15:14
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Hi Maurilio,

Great to have you on this forum.

I had a couple of questions that I was hoping you could help me with:

1. What is the extent of coverage of Security in the R&S Lab ? Are things such as IPSec and CBAC in scope ?

2. I am a bit concerned about preparing for the Wireless component of the Written Exam. If I could read only one book/guide to prepare for that component, what would that be ?

3. Do you anticipate a change in the Blueprint topics that will come into effect starting January 1, 2007 ? Or can we prepare assuming that the current blueprint is likely to be the same as that for next year ?

Thanks,

Paresh

mgorito Thu, 05/25/2006 - 18:46
User Badges:

Hi Paresh,

I am glad to be here.

1. IPSec is part of the content of the Security Lab exam. We do test things like CBAC, ACLs, AAA, catalyst security, Traffic filtering. Also, please take a look at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/rs/lab_exam_blueprint.html

2. Currently we don't test much Wireless content on the Written and if I'd choose Wi-Fi (802.11) Network Handbook by Neil P. Reid and Ron Seide. I'd consider as a second choice 802.11 Wireless LAN Fundamentals by Pejaman Roshan.

3. We don't plan any chances to the blueprints at the moment for January 1, 2007.

We are though planning to finish the replacement of the 2621s and 3640s routers families with 3825s. We are also studying the possibility of replacing the catalyst 3550s.

Regards,

Maurilio

a.raaz Fri, 05/26/2006 - 04:32
User Badges:

Hi Maurilio,

Thanks for all the information you have provided here on this forum - way cool :-)

A quick one from me... You have mentioned InternetworkExpert lab workbook to practice lab stuff, but what is your opinion on IPExpert workbook ? Obiviously if you had a chance to go through IPExpert.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Raaz

jeparra Fri, 05/26/2006 - 19:24
User Badges:

Hi Maurilio:

When you said IPSEC is part of then content of the Security Lab exam, you mean that it´s not cover in R&S Lab Exam?

I really appreciate your confirmation.

kamlesh.sharma Fri, 05/26/2006 - 21:05
User Badges:

when we configure network command in ospf we can put any address but in the same classfull network and router takes the corrected mask configure on interface i.e

intface fastethernet 0/1

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

router ospf 10

network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

and final configuration says

router ospf 10

network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.3 area 1

1- Is it valid for lab exam.

2- in the lab ip address are in the same major network so i can configure a major network and router will take all the ip address configure n interface not sure please advice.

cisco says all the working configuration are valid and point will be given to them but can someone tell me this kind of example where configuration are different but working of the network is achieved as mentioned in workbook

please advice

Thanks

Kamlesh

mgorito Fri, 05/26/2006 - 22:44
User Badges:

Hello Kamlesh,

When we grade the exam we are looking for a working configuration based on a given requirement(s) and/or a restriction(s).

As an example if a question just asks you to configured a router interface into OSPF Area 1, as per your example, we will look in the end of the day if this interface subnet is placed in Area 1 and if it has connectivity.

If we have the same question and also saying that the mask must be /28 we will be looking for that too.

All requirements and/or restrictions, if any, will be clear in the question and based on it does not matter how you configured it since a restriction is not broken you will get the points.

Regards,

Maurilio

kyildirim Wed, 05/31/2006 - 05:09
User Badges:

Hello Maurilio,

Glad to talk to you here,

My question is subnet addition is allowed in CCIE LAB;

For example if I need to create a tunnel between discontigious ospf areas,

am I have the rigth of one subnet addition to accomplish this kind of task, or do I have to ask to proctoc.

Cheers in advance,

Kemal

mgorito Wed, 05/31/2006 - 18:27
User Badges:

Hello Kemal,

It is a pleasure to be here.

If the question doesn't have a specific requirement or restriction regarding the subnet or mask to use you can configure what you think is the best to achieve the results.

If the question has a specific requirement you should follow that because we will be looking that during grade.

All the requirements and restrictions, if have any will be clear on the question’s text.

Regards,

Maurilio

mgorito Fri, 05/26/2006 - 22:31
User Badges:

Hello,

Yes, you understood correct. IPSec is not covered in the CCIE R&S lab exam. It's covered in the CCIE Security Lab exam.

Regards,

Maurilio

mrunal_47 Sat, 05/27/2006 - 20:10
User Badges:

Hello Maurilio,

With so much experience what do you suggest us on the preparation of CCIE. Should I prepare for written and lab at the same time or should take the exam in 2 parts.

Thanks

mgorito Sat, 05/27/2006 - 21:22
User Badges:

Hello,

I suggest you to take it in 2 parts. Focus first on the written exam. When you pass the written you will have a solid concept foundation and then this will be a good time to start the preparation to the lab exam with focus in applying the concepts to real scenarios.

Regards,

Maurilio

att-sgcops Sun, 05/28/2006 - 21:11
User Badges:

hi:

Good day to you!

I have 2 LAB documents to practise: IPexpert and Internetworking Expert. Can i ask that question: Which one you prefer? Which one is more like CCIE real exam? I heard that Internetworking Expert is more difficult than real CCIE exam, is that so?

Thank you very much

Actions

This Discussion