cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM, Nortel integrated with Unity

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a customer who wants to migrate from Nortel option 61 environment to Cisco. We plan on implementing CCM with Unity and and integrating CCM with Nortel via either QSIG or DMS100. The customer wants to migrate all voicemail users including the Nortel users to Unity. What is the best way of integrating Unity with Nortel, I've looked at the unity-nortel integration guides and the dual phone system integration guide, and I am still little confused as to what is the best solution? Is it using the PIMG device or can I use the QSIG connection that will be in place for the phone integration?

Chris

3 Replies 3

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your QSIG trunk will pass RDNIS then it might be sufficient to handle calls to Unity. If Unity will be used for a lot of auto-attendent transfers, then you'll also want to ensure your QSIG trunk supports path replacement. Otherwise, you'll see hairpinned calls burning a lot of your available channels.

The tricky one will be MWI. If you can get the Nortel to play nice with CCM and accept MWI across the QSIG trunk, then great. If not, then you'll need some other interface (PIMG or PBXLink) between Unity and the Nortel. For example, you could use a PBXLink to implement something like figure 3 shown here...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_configuration_guide09186a00805f167d.html#wp1764617

The limitation here is that the PBXLink can only ever use a single Nortel line for MWI. This may cause lamp delays on large systems. With a full dual integration using PIMG, you could configure several lines to handle MWI.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Thanks Eric.

Hello,

We are doing something like what you want only backwards. Our main facility has a 81c and a CCM cluster. We have both Unity and Call Pilot right now. We have 2 QSIG trunks between the two systems. All VoIP phones point towards Call Pilot and things are working pretty well. The biggest problem I can see you having is internal vs external grettings. Currently, when a VoIP phone calls a Nortel subscriber they hear that persons external greeting. I'm not sure how it will work the other way around.

At our other locations, they have Unity with different versions of PBX's. They use Unity with PBXLink and have had great success. With Unity 4.2 you can do multiple integrations. So you could have your CCM and PBX link both setup on Unity and clients don't know the difference. We've tested it with just a few phones and it has worked great so far.

Eric