cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP OSPF between Cisco and Netscreen

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Maybe this is not the best forum to ask this question, but it is the best forum generally.

I am evaluating the use of a routing protocol between Cisco routers and a Netscreen firewall. I believe the Netscreen can do OSPF aned RIP. My question is really about the Netscreen. If the Netscreen has to equal cost routes coming from RIP or OSPF, is it capable of balancing the traffic in the same way a router would? If so, what algorithm does it use - does it balance by flow, by packet, by load, or what?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rais
Level 7
Level 7

NetScreen supports OSPF, RIP and BGP. It supports Equal Cost Multiple Paths but default is set to 1 path.

Per-Session/flow load balancing is enabled when:

1. multiple routes have same preference (admin dist in Cisco)

2. these routes have same metric and

3. ECMP is enabled.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

rais
Level 7
Level 7

NetScreen supports OSPF, RIP and BGP. It supports Equal Cost Multiple Paths but default is set to 1 path.

Per-Session/flow load balancing is enabled when:

1. multiple routes have same preference (admin dist in Cisco)

2. these routes have same metric and

3. ECMP is enabled.

Thanks.

Thank you. That is what I needed to know.

You you know of any snags when interoperating Cisco routers with Netscreen, or is it pretty safe?

Also, I presume that I can activate OSPF on a Netscreen zone without disrupting the existing static-route traffic.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I have used ScreenOS 5.1.r8 OSPF/BGP with Cisco routers with almost no problems. I do remember a bug in which BGP on an interface gets disabled under very specific scenarios. Later versions overcome this bug.

Activating OSPF with existing traffic should not be a problem, though I haven't done this.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card