Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Carrer Move from data to voice (ip telephony)

Unanswered Question
May 26th, 2006
User Badges:

hi all

I hope you can help me.

I have been in IT for 16 years and in cisco data networking for 6 years. I am bored of data and want to get in to IP Telephony, I have been on a CCVP bootcamp and I am currently studying to pass the certifications I also have my own voice lab including routers/switches/voice modules/call manager server/exchange server/unity server/IP and analog phones.

After doing all of this I still can't get a job in IP Telephony i am contractor but I am even considering going permanant to get the experience but even this is prooving to be difficult.

Not sure what else I can do... any help or advice would be really helpful.

thanks in advanced

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
lfulgenzi Tue, 05/30/2006 - 11:29
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

If you are considering a career change, rather than going into IP telephony in general, I would suggest investigating application development geared towards the phones. While deploying IPT is exciting at first, I'm guessing you'll be as quickly bored with it as you were with deploying and managing data. Quite honestly, if you think of IP telephony as simply another application over the network, you'll be concentrating on server administration and provisioning of services.

The future of IP telephony is in the applications that are available for use. Take a look at places like citrix and ipcelerate for example. Ingenious ides out there and some of them are actually being put into production.

My two cents.... ;)

Actions

This Discussion