ATA 186 with FAX machine and CME

Unanswered Question
May 27th, 2006
User Badges:

Anybody knows the best solution for FAX with Cisco call manager express when you have remote extensions and you can not cable to the FAX machine to FXS cards or FXS gateways.

For example if you have 2 buildings connected by a wireless link and you have in one a Cisco 2651 with CME.

Is it possible to use a ATA with SCCP firmware connected to a FAX machine and take it as a e-phone more?

Is there any incompatibility? Which is the best way to do this?

Overall Rating: 4 (3 ratings)
thisisshanky Sat, 05/27/2006 - 20:53
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Following up from previous post...

I lab'ed the following setup.

fax m/c --- fxs port --cme---ethernet--ata--fax m/c

one fax m/c was connected to fxs port

one fax m/c was connected to ata

ata was loaded with sccp image and with default settings fax seems to work fine between the two fax machines. I guess this is no different from sending a fax to the PSTN. So the behaviour should be the same. Fax works great without modifying the Connectmode settings.

The real question is whether Cisco TAC will support sccp for fax on ATA..

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

sarenos2006 Sun, 05/28/2006 - 02:59
User Badges:

Ok thanks I will try to connect a Fax machine with an ATA and will tell you the perdormance.

thisisshanky Sun, 05/28/2006 - 08:30
User Badges:

If you end up having trouble with faxing and ATA with SCCP image, you may upgrade the image to H323. All you need to do is place the H323 file in a tftp server (you can put it in the flash of the router) and then execute following commands

tftp-server flash:.bin

telephony-service

load ata

(no need to give bin extension here)

Reboot the ATA and it will upgrade its OS from SCCP to H323. To access ATA web interface use

http:///dev

sarenos2006 Sun, 05/28/2006 - 09:16
User Badges:

Ok, I will try it.

On the other hand, Is it possible to us other IP telephones from trird-party vendors with CME?

Are they capable to us SCCP or H323 or SIP ?

regards

sarenos2006 Sun, 05/28/2006 - 09:31
User Badges:

How can I upgrade to CME 4.0?

Is necessary new license?

Where can i download firmware?

thisisshanky Sun, 05/28/2006 - 09:36
User Badges:

If you already have license for 3.3 and have smartnet you should be able to download using your CCO login all firmware files for CME 4.0

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/sw-voice.shtml

Also CME 4.0 works only in 12.4.4XC or 12.4.6T. So you need to check if your router has enough memory and flash to perform the upgrade.

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Actions

This Discussion