cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4506 Switch Hanging

Sureshdank
Level 1
Level 1

I have got a 4506 switch with Sup V 10GE. This switch is in VTP domain, but in VTP transparent mode. I has got hanged twice, could anybody tell me the reason what could have happend.

There was no configuration change been done to that switch.

5 Replies 5

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You may want to check and see if you're running into CSCsb61172.

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

Can you just give me clarity on what you want to me check.

Hi Suresh,

CSCsb61172 can be confirmed by looking at the output of "show platform hardware interface all".

eg:

CAT4510#show platform hardware interface all

Global Hardware Gigaport State

------------------------------

RxIpg : 6

TxIpg : 264

FreeListCount : 329 <<<-----

Note that typical values of the free list count are between 20,000 and 64,000 depending on the traffic

being switched. A count of 329 above is too low and indicates a memory leak.

So if you see the number decreasing constantly, then you are running into this issue. The fix is in 12.2(25)EWA5, 12.2(31)SG, and higher.

HTH,

Bobby

The Value of Free list count in my switch is 64267. So what that mean. Is my switch is having any problem. The the IOS I am running is 12.2(25)EWA

Suresh,

That number is in the normal range. However, I'd recommend monitoring it to see if it steadily decreases, as you have already recovered by reloading the switch. If you see it drop in to the range of hundreds, then you are running into this issue. However, if you do not see the number decrease over time and you still experience the hang, then you are experiencing a different issue. The IOS you are running IS affected by the aforementioned bug.

HTH,

Bobby

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: