Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Switch Interface Question

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've have six 3548xl switches, and have fibre links going from gigabit ports 1 and 2 to another. These links haven't been labeled, so I'm unsure which switch each fibre link is going to. Is there an IOS command (currently running IOS 12.0(5)) I could run that would show me the destination switch's mac address to which the connection is going into?

So to illustrate this, let's say I'm on switch 1 and the fibre link is running to another switch, what command could I run on switch 1 that will tell me the destination hardware address that the fibre is directly connected into?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

4 Replies 4

daniel.bowen
Level 1
Level 1

Show mac-address table interface g1/0/1

this should show you the MAC addresses being learnt on the interface you type in.

HTH,

Dan

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

show mac-address-table will show you where the is connected.

show mac-address-table interface x/x will show you what mac-address is being learned on interface x/x. This is what you asking for.

show cdp neigh x/x detail will show you if the connected device is a Cisco, it will have it's system ID, IP addresss, etc.

Please rate helpful posts.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Am I missing something here , why don't you just use CDP , this tells you exactly where it is going if it is a cisco switch on the far end . "show cdp neighbor detail" is your friend :-)

I'd go with CDP too.

Really usefull.

vlad