Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Switch Interface Question

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've have six 3548xl switches, and have fibre links going from gigabit ports 1 and 2 to another. These links haven't been labeled, so I'm unsure which switch each fibre link is going to. Is there an IOS command (currently running IOS 12.0(5)) I could run that would show me the destination switch's mac address to which the connection is going into?

So to illustrate this, let's say I'm on switch 1 and the fibre link is running to another switch, what command could I run on switch 1 that will tell me the destination hardware address that the fibre is directly connected into?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

4 Replies 4

daniel.bowen
Level 1
Level 1

Show mac-address table interface g1/0/1

this should show you the MAC addresses being learnt on the interface you type in.

HTH,

Dan

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

show mac-address-table will show you where the is connected.

show mac-address-table interface x/x will show you what mac-address is being learned on interface x/x. This is what you asking for.

show cdp neigh x/x detail will show you if the connected device is a Cisco, it will have it's system ID, IP addresss, etc.

Please rate helpful posts.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Am I missing something here , why don't you just use CDP , this tells you exactly where it is going if it is a cisco switch on the far end . "show cdp neighbor detail" is your friend :-)

I'd go with CDP too.

Really usefull.

vlad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: