Views
Helpful
Replies

What are your experiences with Spectrum

hgru
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are using Spectrum here and I am not so impressed by it. Then again I do not have much experience with it. I like to know what your experience with the produkt is.

Hans

2 Replies 2

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

I believe it was the first product that could do a root cause analysis.

It can do a full layer2 - layer3 discovery in a multi vendor environment.

Ciscoworks can't do neither of them, so it's not a product to compare it with.

I suppose other NMS vendors will have this type of fuctionality too by now.

Cheers,

Michel

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the product vendors mentioned below other than using their products over the years.

I have used OpenView (an older version)

NetView (currently using latest version)

Spectrum (testing latest version)

We also use CiscoWorks and a generic UNIX host.

My group monitors over 4,000 Cisco devices and about 600 Windows and UNIX servers. We are in the process of re-centralizing our IT support and will double the number of devices we will support in the next year.

We just did a bakeoff of Spectrum vs. OpenView. The team selected Spectrum. It can scale well and has features we need.

I would not hesitate to run OpenView or Spectrum. My personal choice is OpenView. OpenView has many large global enterprise users and is a fine product. I also have the most experience with OpenView.

I do not have a lot of experience with Spectrum because we are currently deploying it, so I can't speak too much about the product yet. But it has the features we need.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: