Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560 FiberModule -> Mediaconverter

Hi Guys

I have a problem were i am trying to have my 3560PoE switch connect to a media converter. I can't seem to have them talking with each other.

Setup: 3560 -> FiberPatchPanel->Mediaconverter-> 2950 (Without fiber)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is definiately your problem. If you are ultimately connecting to a 100 meg interface, you will not be able to use the gbic connections.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

verify the following if possible:

1) fiber cable to patchPanel is OK

2) mediaConverter to patchPanel is OK

3) cat 5 from mediaConverter to 2950 is OK (use crossOver if required)

4) patchPanel termination is OK

All of the above is OK. The connection has worked before. Only difference is that there used to be a mediaconverter in both ends. Now we have purchased a switch with fiber and we would like to take down one of the converters.

gpulos hit the nail on the end.

Also, do you have media Converter on both ends. Are they the same model? Also, have you try locking down the port? Is this an indoor connection or outdoor connection?

Hey

No, the issue is that we are trying to take down a mediaconverter and patch it throu the switch instead.

So there is only a media converter on one end, and it is not a Cisco :)

I have just realized that the fiber module for 3560 is only capable of running at 1000Mbit. It can't be set manually to 100Mbit. The converter is 100/100. Is this a problem?

This is definiately your problem. If you are ultimately connecting to a 100 meg interface, you will not be able to use the gbic connections.

OK. Thx guys

Forgot.

this is an indoor connection and i have tried the "shut/no shut command"

I would say that is the problem. The GBIC do not run at 10/100. You are going to have to get another media converter or another GBIC to make this work.

Is it a GBIC?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco