Views
Helpful
Replies

Implicit & Explicit Null Labels

cisco_raj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi..

I am a bit confused in Implicit and Explicit null labels. The RFC Says as follows :

IMPLICIT NULL LABEL:This label value is only legal at the bottom of the label stack. It indicates that the label stack must be popped,

and the forwarding of the packet must then be based on the IPv4 header.

EXPLICIT NULL LABEL : This is a label that an LSR may assign and distribute, but which never actually appears in the encapsulation. When an LSR would otherwise replace the label at the top of the stack with a new label, but the new label is "Implicit NULL", the LSR will pop the stack instead of doing the

replacement. Although this value may never appear in the encapsulation, it needs to be specified in the Label Distribution Protocol, so a value is reserved.

My question is, which one is used in PHP operation. Consider I have a scenario like this :

CE1--PE1---P---PE2---CE2

How do I make the P router as the PHP router in this case???I need to have a implicit null label set on P router????

What about explicit null label then???

Regards,

RAJ

1 Reply 1

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

by defaulf, the P router will use implicit null label. For you to use the explicit null label, use the command

mpls ldp explicit-null.

The explicit null label is often useful in QoS implementation scenarios.

See the following url

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080430c63.html#wp1020450

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: