OSPF passive-interface default & virtual link issue

Unanswered Question
Jun 17th, 2006
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hi,

Can anyone advise of why and how to resolve an issue I am seeing, in my lab, with IOS 12.2(32) in that if you config the ospf process with 'passive-interface default' to save having to config passive interfaces manually and also have a virtual-link configured, the virtual link will not operate correctly.

The virtual-link shows as up, but the state is 'passive-interface, no hello's' the disconnected area routes do not show in the ospf database, and on the disconnected area ABR show ip ospf shows' AREA 0 inactive' so basically the virtual link doesnt work.

Although everying is configured correctly, in the end I had to remove the passive-interface defaul command from the config, and everything works fine.

I could not determine a way to make the virtual-link non passive.

Can anyone advise on this?

TIA,

LR

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
vladrac-ccna Sat, 06/17/2006 - 09:49
User Badges:

Hello,

why dont you create a tunnel instead of a virtual link? you can use passive-interface with Tunnels for what I know.

Also, is the physical link also passive? I think you'll need to maker 1 router on area0 and the other router neighbors first, before virtual-link can work...or as I said use tunnels instead.

Hope this help a bit

Vlad

olorunloba Sat, 06/17/2006 - 16:40
User Badges:

Just a try.

Configure the virtual link, after having configured the default passive-interface.

Actions

This Discussion