cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Camus Design!

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

I have more than 70 access switches 2950T, that will be connected to two Cisco distribution switches, Two uplinks that will connect each access switch to the distribution (2 G links)!

I read many documents about the campus Design! I think to use routed interfaces with GLBP between Access to the distribution switches is the best design.

Just i need ur feedback about this design! and if you guide me to Cisco best practises about this design, and also config. documents?

I will use separate VLAN for each access switch.

Thanks in advance

Abd Alqader

8 Replies 8

I tested this design with two access switches connected to two distribution switches Cisco 6513 with two giga uplinks connections from the access to the dist.

I noticed the following:

- I think that there is no need to configure VLAN per each switch, only configuring Layer 3 interface at the disti will isolate the broadcast.

- Another thing, you need to configure dynamic routing protocol "EIGRP" between the two dist. switches.

Just to exchange information and i want to ensure that this is a good design .

Thanks Bosalaza, but it seems the second document is not working.

Kindly i need your feedback about my design!

Thanks alot

Abd Alqader

HI

I think u can configure vlans per switch and terminate them at dist with SVI's.Configure uplink fast on the access swithces.

And i think there is no need of any dynamic routing protocol as all the vlans will be terminated on dist switches so they all be directly connected.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood,

I meant dynamic routing between the distribution switches not between the distribution and the access. GLBP will be configured between the distribution and the access, at this point, i think no need to configure VLAN per switch.

Is this design is good?

Thanks in advance

Abd Alqader

HI

Qader

So u mean u r going to configure the SVI's on access switches also ?.yeh i understand u r point.r u not going to have connectivity between these dist switches..?

As far as vlan configuration is concerend it depends upon u r requirement.

Thanks

Mahmood

At my design! NO SVIs (NO VLANs).

Each access switch will has a two gigabit uplinks connection (Link1 to Dist. A, and Link2 to Dist. B), The GLBP will be configured as follows:

At (For example) interface giga 2/1 at Dist. A the Link1 will be connected, and also At interface 2/1 at Dist. B the Link2 will be connected, now the giga interfaces at the distribution switches GLBP will be configured (same group for each gigabit interfaces at the two dist. switches that connect that access switch). i.e. Layer 3 interfaces will be configured at the gigabit interfaces that will connect each access switch. NO VLANS.

My question is about this design, is it good and also i think no VLANs will be required at each access switch (NO more than one VLAN will be required at each access switch if we will configure VLANs).

I hope that you got my point!

Thanks alot

Abd Alqader

just to improve your design make sure on distribution switches all the L3 interface connected to access switches are passive in routing protocol bcos you don't axpect any neighbor from that side.

connect distribution switches back to back by etherchannel to fast reroute to traffic going to core in case of any link goes down from dist-core.

you will not be having vlan scalability in accesses switches as you are not having any vlan.

Thanks, According to the server farm, we will install two Cisco 6509-E switches. We will deploy Private VLAN in the server farm, and the connection between the distribution (and also the Core) to the server farm switches will be Layer 2 in order for the distribution to be the gateway for those servers.

Kindly i need your feedback about this design, and if you give me documents about the preferred design for the server farm, it will be very helpful!

Thank you

Abd Alqader

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: