Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing on 837 router

orochi_yagami
Level 1
Level 1

HI Prof,

I've two cisco 837 router with cisco IOS 12.3 currently. I would like to configure load balancing on both the router, have tried to configure GLBP but it show me that the hardware not supported.

Is there any other protocol or technology to achieve my desire?

Thank and Advice.

3 Replies 3

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

What are your requirements. Do you have multiple segments to support? Are you only looking for load-balancing or do you have a high availibility requirement?

In that case you can use multiple HSRP groups for instance.

Do both 837 routers have a separate xDSL connection?

Are you using NAT to translate between private and public address pools?

There is more than one solution to achieve load-balancing. Please answer the above questions and if possible draw a simple diagram of your desired topology.

HTH

Leon

We have the HSRP configuration on both the 837 router currently.The both routers are connected to different service provider,but both are 512K speed.Eventhough we have 2 different service provider but only 1 of them provide fixed IP to us. We do have NAT configured.

I know there are many way to achieve the load balancing e.g: ip cef, using route map to point the route, but what i desired is using protocol like GLBP. HSRP i dun think can active both the at same time rite (correct me if wrong)I would like to share out the outgoing traffic.

If you have more than one VLAN you can set the active router for group 1 on router 1 and the active router for group 2 on router 2 for instance.

Refer to the documentation:

Configuring Multiple HSRP Groups for Load Balancing

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hiap_c/ch20/haiphsrp.htm#wp1046834

HTH

Leon

* Please rate posts.