cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design network isp

stephtchoko
Level 3
Level 3

when trying to design a network, with p2p link inside access ; Broadcast Multi-access (Ethernet)inside the core and p2p link with another provider.

i have to use public or private ip address inside my network to provide connectivity ?

Regards.

3 Replies 3

leighharrison
Level 7
Level 7

Hi there,

When you peer with a BGP node, you usually connect to a loopback address and maybe unnumber the connected interface to the loopback.

BGP is different to all other routing protocols as it runs over TCP, so you need to have a connection with your peer. Everytime I have done this I have connected to a public address to my peer.

Regards,

LH

Please rate all posts

thank you , you are saying that the host which have to connect with bgp (tcp ), need public on the loopback interface.

for the connectivity core---distribution----access, i have to used private or public in isp network?? why ??

Best regards.

Hi there,

Within your own network it doesn't matter what you use. The important part is that you route the addresses that need to be visible.

Between your peer you will need to use a public address, but in your internal network you should use a private address range. If you are given internet addresses for nodes to be seen on the internet, servers, vpn's etc., then you will need to have these addresses routed within your network, as that's where the internet will be expecting them to be. Your users, core, etc. do not need to have public addresses, as no internet users should want to see them!!

Regards,

LH

Please rate all posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card