Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP VRRP combined together

Netneo123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am a newbie i have a doubt regarding the HSRP and VRRP. Can these 2 be combined in a network,

i have one Cisco device(supports HSRP),

Cisco Catalyst 6000 Series Switches Module Switch Feature Card (MSFC) and one

Juniper(supports VRRP), Juniper M-20 Router is it possible to have the same virtual IP configured for both these devices.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

see HSRP is the cisco propritery protocol, so you can use it when you are having cisco devices... and VRRP is the open standard which can be run on any manufacture device... so when ever you are having one device from cisco and other is form other manufacturer then you must have to go for VRRP...

hope this will help you

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Netneo,

HSRP and VRRP are in no way compatible as the protocol mechanics differ greatly. I suggest to configure VRRP on the Cisco router which is available in Cisco IOS software and thus can speak with your Juniper router.

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate posts.

Thanks Leon for the reply, it has reolved my issue.

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

see HSRP is the cisco propritery protocol, so you can use it when you are having cisco devices... and VRRP is the open standard which can be run on any manufacture device... so when ever you are having one device from cisco and other is form other manufacturer then you must have to go for VRRP...

hope this will help you

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: