Views
Helpful
Replies

STP

muca
Level 3
Level 3

Hi.

I have some 2950 switches conected in a 3550. STP is enabled in all switches of my topology, but just part of it could have loop problems, (vlans 6, 7 and 8) so I am thinking about disabling STP in some switches so I could reduce the number of multicast traffic.

I?ve already done it in switches that are in vlan1 but just for vlan1

"no spanning-tree vlan 1 "

Despite disabling it for vlan1 it is still enabled for all other vlan?s so I am thinking about disabling it too.

Could I face any problem doing that?

3550 -------- vlan 6

| | |

| | |

| vlan7-----vlan8

vlan1

|

|

vlan1

5 Replies 5

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Not if I followed it.

You think the STP multicast traffic is high? and this is impacting your network?

vlad

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

I would not disable STP for any VLAN unless you are 100% sure of no loops...If you have excessive traffic on your switch then you may have another problem at hand. For the amount of VLAN's and switches you have the STP traffic should not have a damaging effect on your network...

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Who is the root bridge for your network the 3550? Can you provide a configuration for these switches?

STP traffic is not a cause of problem. what i would suggest you to enable vtp prunning on switchs having vlan 1 only and keep STP running for automatic loop prevention.use RSTP and portfast uplinkfast backbonefast as per ur design so that convergence is fast and less TCN.

HTH

kneber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would not disable spanning tree. If (but not likely in this network) multicast from STP is impactive performance, you can reduce the number if spanning tree instances to one or two by using MST instead of Per Vlan STP (one per vlan). This should reduce the amount of STP multicast.

RK

PS: Please rate if it helped.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card