Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2800 card/module

anthony-pham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to connect two Nortel PBXs through my data network to simulate a toll bypass system (Using analog phones). Currently the two PBX are connected by T1 circuit. I will be using 2800 routers on each end.

Which Cisco card/module should I use? Will this solution requires PVDM2?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You'll need a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 on each end (single port E1 or T1 software-switchable card).

You'll also need enough DSPs for 24 channels of voice on each end - if using G711 this would be 24 channels so a PVDM2-32 (or two 16s) would be OK. I'm guessing you'll be using G729 though, so you'll need a PVDM2-48.

You will require a voice capable IOS as well....

I normally start with a voice bundle and add the DSPs/VWICs I need to simplify the order, e.g.:

CISCO2801-V/K9 2801 Voice Bundle,PVDM2-8,SP Serv,64F/256D

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 1-Port 2nd Gen Multiflex Trunk Voice/WAN Int. Card - T1/E1

PVDM2-8U48 PVDM2 8-channel to 48-channel factory upgrade

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You'll need a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 on each end (single port E1 or T1 software-switchable card).

You'll also need enough DSPs for 24 channels of voice on each end - if using G711 this would be 24 channels so a PVDM2-32 (or two 16s) would be OK. I'm guessing you'll be using G729 though, so you'll need a PVDM2-48.

You will require a voice capable IOS as well....

I normally start with a voice bundle and add the DSPs/VWICs I need to simplify the order, e.g.:

CISCO2801-V/K9 2801 Voice Bundle,PVDM2-8,SP Serv,64F/256D

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 1-Port 2nd Gen Multiflex Trunk Voice/WAN Int. Card - T1/E1

PVDM2-8U48 PVDM2 8-channel to 48-channel factory upgrade

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Won't he need a VWIC2-2MFT, one for the T1 between sites and one for the trunk to the Nortel switches?

That's a possibility - I'd assumed he wanted to lose the T1 and had an existing data WAN to run over...

In the UK we don't tend to use T1s/E1s for data except for dial backup...

Aaron

Thanks for the reply Aaron. You have been very helpful.

I am fairly new to VoIP and was also wondering is there a particular Network Module(NM-HDV2) that the VWIC card you suggested slots into?

In 2800 series routers, you can insert the VWIC cards such as VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 into one of the HWIC slots directly into 2800 series chassis.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

Scroll down to T1/E1/G.703 Multiflex Trunk Voice WAN Interface Cards and Voice Interface Cards, you can see a list of VWICs they can be directly inserted into the chassis.

As Tom says - the NM-HDVs were for older platforms that didn't have built in capabilities for voice - the 2800s have slots for direct connection of VICs and VWICs, as well as internal slots for DSP chips...

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: