cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT issue

matt_heff
Level 1
Level 1

i have set up NAT on a 2610 router on my network, but now i cannot telnet to my server on the inside network from the outside. (i have to telnet to the router first, then to the server from the router). i assume this is normal NAT behaviour, but is there a way around this so i can telnet straight through to my server's internal address?

3 Replies 3

matt_heff
Level 1
Level 1

fyi - i'm actually using PAT to translate the inside adresses using the outside interface's global address.

Hi matt,

NAT has the advantage of saving address schemes but also a security function is to hide inside addres scheme from the outside, so of caurse you cannot initiate connection from outside interface through a NAT'ed or PAT'ed device, only through static translation (one-to-one address translation):

interface

ip nat outside

interface

ip nat outside

ip nat inside source static

inside local ip is the address of your inside server.

You can use your outside interface ip as inside global address but any request to your router interface will be redirected to your internal host only if you have a dedicated global address to assign to your internal server.

You will have to use port forwarding i.e if you telnet to < port eg 5001> . Then the router will forward your request to the server .