cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Utilization

ariesc_33
Level 1
Level 1

how can I retrieve the port utilization? I cannot findy any in IPM.

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can realtime port utilization using CiscoView. You can even get some historical utilization data using the Mini RMON tool in CiscoView. Of course, all of these stats are at layer 2. If you want higher layer protocol stats, you will need something like an RMON probe or the Network Analysis Module.

Thanks for your response.

I have 7300 routers which cannot be viewed from the mini RMON. Are there only supported platforms for mini RMON?

How will I be able to access the 7300 router in mini RMON to collect some utilization trend reports?

Thanks

you can find the supported platforms for miniRMON by opening the application and then going to help and searching on Supported OIDs and it will give a complete list of the supported devices. All of these devices are switches as 99% of routers do not support miniRMON

You are correct, routers do not work in the Mini RMON tool. For those devices, you could look at something like NetFlow in combination with some collector and analyzer (e.g. InfoVista, Concord, or the open source PRTG).

is there a way to monitor traffic, trend reports and threshold in LMS 25 without using the NetFlow?

Traffic monitoring cannot be done within LMS. It can be done with tools such as the NAM (which includes its own web-based interface for management). Thresholds for latency and to some extent availability can be done with IP SLA and IPM (which is in LMS 2.5), but this cannot be done based on existing traffic.

But NAM will require another license? and readings its product supported, 7300 series are not included.

The NAM is hardware, and does not exist for the 7300. It sounds like nothing in CiscoWorks will give you exactly what you want. And anything for traffic monitoring on the 7300 will require additional hardware.

do you know any open source (linux based) that i can used for performance monitoring where I can get threshold reports and set threshold? MRTG and cacti does not support setting thresholds.. Thank you very much

Smokeping is an Open Source tool that works similar to the way IP SLA works (and can even integrate with IP SLA). Also, PRTG can process NetFlow data as well as analyze current network traffic to show you utilization information. You may also be interested in jffnms which can do network discovery, fault, and performance management.

RMON probe? can i intergate it on LMS 2.5?

No. The Netscout nGenius software component was removed from LMS, so we no longer have a general RMON manager.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: