Replies

sysopt noproxyarp

navnit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I m having following PIX-appliance

-------------------------------------

Cisco PIX Security Appliance Software Version 7.0(4)

Device Manager Version 5.0(4)

Compiled on Thu 13-Oct-05 21:43 by builders

System image file is "flash:/image"

Config file at boot was "startup-config"

Hardware: PIX-515E, 64 MB RAM, CPU Pentium II 433 MHz

Flash E28F128J3 @ 0xfff00000, 16MB

BIOS Flash AM29F400B @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

0: Ext: Ethernet0 : address is 0017.9514.7706, irq 10

1: Ext: Ethernet1 : address is 0017.9514.7707, irq 11

2: Ext: Ethernet2 : address is 000e.0caf.f2ee, irq 11

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces : 3

Maximum VLANs : 10

Inside Hosts : Unlimited

Failover : Disabled

VPN-DES : Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES : Enabled

Cut-through Proxy : Enabled

Guards : Enabled

URL Filtering : Enabled

Security Contexts : 0

GTP/GPRS : Disabled

VPN Peers : Unlimited

This platform has a Restricted (R) license.

-------------------------------------

by-default in this version "sysopt noproxyarp <int>" has been enabled. The problem with this default setting is, static one-to-one nat is not happing. Even i m not getting arp of natted ip in appliance itself.

But if i apply "no sysopt noproxyarp <int>", static one-to-one nat is happing as well as getting arp of natted ip in appliance. Please let me know whtats the reason behind this

1 Reply 1

jmia
Level 7
Level 7

From the manual....

sysopt noproxyarp:

ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) is a layer two protocol that resolves an IP address to a physical address, also called a Media Access Controller (MAC) address. A host sends an ARP request asking "Who is this IP?" The device owning the IP should reply with "Hey, I am the one, here's my MAC address."

Proxy ARP refers to a gateway device, in this case, the firewall, "impersonating" an IP address and returning its own MAC address to answer an ARP request for another device.

The firewall builds a table from responses to ARP requests to map physical addresses to IP addresses. A periodic ARP function is enabled in the default configuration. The presence of entries in the ARP cache indicates that the firewall has network connectivity. The show arp command lists the entries in the ARP table. Usually, administrators do not need to manually manipulate ARP entries on the firewall. This is done only when troubleshooting or solving network connectivity problems.

The arp command is used to add a permanent entry for host on a network. If one host is exchanged for another host with the same IP address then the "clear arp" command can be used to clear the ARP cache on the PIX. Alternatively, you can wait for the duration specified with the arp timeout command to expire and the ARP table rebuilds itself automatically with the new host information.

The sysopt noproxyarp command is used to disable Proxy ARPs on an interface from the command-line interface. By default, the PIX Firewall responds to ARP requests directed at the PIX Firewall's interface IP addresses as well as to ARP requests for any static or global address defined on the PIX Firewall interface (which are proxy ARP requests).

The sysopt noproxyarp if_name command lets you disable proxy ARP request responses on a PIX Firewall interface. However, this command does not disable (non-proxy) ARP requests on the PIX Firewall interface itself. Consequently, if you use the sysopt noproxyarp if_name command, the PIX Firewall no longer responds to ARP requests for the addresses in the static, global, and nat 0 commands for that interface but does respond to ARP requests for its interface IP addresses.

To disable Proxy ARPs on the inside interface:

sysopt noproxyarp inside