cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rme3.5 - config backup

matt.walls
Level 1
Level 1

i am new to cw2k and am learning how the device (config) backup works. does it perform a baseline (when i do archive) and then only downloads a config it changes when performing another archive? Can it download a config on demand, even if it does not have any changes?

6 Replies 6

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Matt,

When you initially add a device to RME it will go out and archive the config of the device automatically and place it in the config archive after that.

Once that is done you have a couple of options:

1) You can use periodic polling to go out and check for config changes to pull a new config or you can have RME pull the config if it receives a config change syslog message

2) You can schedule an inventory collection to pull a config regardless of config changes on the device.

okay. that is what i have experienced. on option 2)

would i then:

RME - Admin - inventory - update inventory (on the device/s) that i want current configs?

You would go to RME - Configuration Management - Update Archive

The other option you mentions above updates the inventory of a device...i.e. hardware

you can also schedule a full config retrievel by going to RME - Admin - Config Mgmt - General Setup - Change Probe Setup

when i do the: RME - Configuration Management - Update Archive. it says successful for each device... with today's date. (note these devices configs have not changed). but when i go to rme - config mgmt - search archiive by device and i select them it only shows the most recent archive as when these configs were last changed/downloaded.

when i do the: RME - Configuration Management - Update Archive. it says successful for each device... with today's date. (note these devices configs have not changed). but when i go to rme - config mgmt - search archiive by device and i select them it only shows the most recent archive as when these configs were last changed/downloaded.

It only saves the configuration if it detects that a change was made. The feeling is that you don't want to fill up disk with duplicate data.