cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rme3.5 - config backup

matt.walls
Level 1
Level 1

i am new to cw2k and am learning how the device (config) backup works. does it perform a baseline (when i do archive) and then only downloads a config it changes when performing another archive? Can it download a config on demand, even if it does not have any changes?

6 Replies 6

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Matt,

When you initially add a device to RME it will go out and archive the config of the device automatically and place it in the config archive after that.

Once that is done you have a couple of options:

1) You can use periodic polling to go out and check for config changes to pull a new config or you can have RME pull the config if it receives a config change syslog message

2) You can schedule an inventory collection to pull a config regardless of config changes on the device.

okay. that is what i have experienced. on option 2)

would i then:

RME - Admin - inventory - update inventory (on the device/s) that i want current configs?

You would go to RME - Configuration Management - Update Archive

The other option you mentions above updates the inventory of a device...i.e. hardware

you can also schedule a full config retrievel by going to RME - Admin - Config Mgmt - General Setup - Change Probe Setup

when i do the: RME - Configuration Management - Update Archive. it says successful for each device... with today's date. (note these devices configs have not changed). but when i go to rme - config mgmt - search archiive by device and i select them it only shows the most recent archive as when these configs were last changed/downloaded.

when i do the: RME - Configuration Management - Update Archive. it says successful for each device... with today's date. (note these devices configs have not changed). but when i go to rme - config mgmt - search archiive by device and i select them it only shows the most recent archive as when these configs were last changed/downloaded.

It only saves the configuration if it detects that a change was made. The feeling is that you don't want to fill up disk with duplicate data.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: