Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

WI-FI Alliance

Answered Question
Jul 17th, 2006
User Badges:

Is BR1400 Model a WI-FI Alliance?

I have serched WI-FI certified products list on WI-FI web site,But i can't find BR1400 in the list.

Correct Answer by scottmac about 11 years 1 month ago

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect not.

Wi-Fi only covers APs. To operate as a bridge (especially one made for distance) the "normal" 802.11{abg} parameters have to be "stretched" to accommodate the longer delays and likelyhood of noise and other interference.

That is why "wireless bridges" tend to operate as proprietary devices (i.e., you can't use a Cisco bridge (root or non-root) with some other manufacturer's similar product).

As such, it can't meet the WiFi specs for having "open, standard" operating protocols.

AFAIK, ther are no standards (yet?) for wireless bridges. This isn't just a "Cisco thing"

Bridges acting as repeaters, and 'bridges' that associate with APs as a client are a different animal. These bridges will not talk to a wireless bridge that is setup for long range point-to-point (or point-to-multipoint) mode (root or non-root).

Good Luck

Scott

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
scottmac Mon, 07/17/2006 - 19:18
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect not.

Wi-Fi only covers APs. To operate as a bridge (especially one made for distance) the "normal" 802.11{abg} parameters have to be "stretched" to accommodate the longer delays and likelyhood of noise and other interference.

That is why "wireless bridges" tend to operate as proprietary devices (i.e., you can't use a Cisco bridge (root or non-root) with some other manufacturer's similar product).

As such, it can't meet the WiFi specs for having "open, standard" operating protocols.

AFAIK, ther are no standards (yet?) for wireless bridges. This isn't just a "Cisco thing"

Bridges acting as repeaters, and 'bridges' that associate with APs as a client are a different animal. These bridges will not talk to a wireless bridge that is setup for long range point-to-point (or point-to-multipoint) mode (root or non-root).

Good Luck

Scott

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode