Views
Helpful
Replies

date/time stamp for startup-config?

linnea.wren
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When I do "dir nvram:" the date/time field says " <no date> ".

(on a 3745, v12.3, and a 3620, v12.1)

"sh conf" does not include saved date & time, either.

Is there a way to discover when startup-config was last saved?

TIA...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paresh - my understanding of the original post is that when she does show startup-config that no date is there. There is an explanation for this.

Narayan - the service timestamps is a good command and I agree that specifying datetime is better than the default of displaying uptime. But this command does not have anything to do with the date in the config file.

What does control the presence (or absence in this case) is whether the router has authoritative time at the time the config was changed or saved. The router can have authoritative time by use of the clock set command or by use of NTP. I believe that NTP is a much better solution.

So if the router really knows correct time it will put the time stamp into the config. And if the router does not know correct time it will supress the time stamp. From the fact that the startup config does not have a time stamp we can believe that the router did not know authoritative time when the config was saved. And I do not know any good way to go back and discover it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Enter in 'show startup-configuration' and it will give you output like the following, which tells you when it was last saved:

router#show startup-config

Using 15198 out of 522232 bytes, uncompressed size = 34695 bytes

Uncompressed configuration from 15198 bytes to 34695 bytes

!

! Last configuration change at 02:40:51 UTC Wed Jul 19 2006

! NVRAM config last updated at 05:23:20 UTC Wed Jul 19 2006

Paresh

PS. Pls do rate posts.

Include the following command in your configuration to put a timestamp to all the logs

service timestamps log datetime msec

Narayan

Paresh - my understanding of the original post is that when she does show startup-config that no date is there. There is an explanation for this.

Narayan - the service timestamps is a good command and I agree that specifying datetime is better than the default of displaying uptime. But this command does not have anything to do with the date in the config file.

What does control the presence (or absence in this case) is whether the router has authoritative time at the time the config was changed or saved. The router can have authoritative time by use of the clock set command or by use of NTP. I believe that NTP is a much better solution.

So if the router really knows correct time it will put the time stamp into the config. And if the router does not know correct time it will supress the time stamp. From the fact that the startup config does not have a time stamp we can believe that the router did not know authoritative time when the config was saved. And I do not know any good way to go back and discover it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: