cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is mean of POP tag and Untagged in MPLS forwrding Table ?

ganpatspatil
Level 1
Level 1

PE3#sh mpls forwarding-table

Local Outgoing Prefix Bytes tag Outgoing Next Hop

tag tag or VC or Tunnel Id switched interface

16 Pop tag 4.4.4.4/32 196675 Se0/0 point2point

17 19 7.7.7.7/32 13534 Fa0/1 50.50.50.2

18 Pop tag 40.40.40.0/30 0 Fa0/1 50.50.50.2

19 Pop tag 5.5.5.5/32 0 Fa0/1 50.50.50.2

20 Untagged 1.1.1.1/32 347682 Fa0/0 172.20.13.1

What is mean of Untagged and POP taged in above output ?

13 Replies 13

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

POP Tag, removes the top label and forwards the remaining payload.

Untagged, means that the packet was the last label in MPLS stack, the resultant packet does not have an MPLS label hence forwarded accordingly. (something like implicit null)

Cheers,

~sultan

Hi,

Actually, I think that "untagged" entry means that you pop all remaining labels even if more than one had left. This would actually indicate that your LSP is broken.

David

It doesn't necesseraly mean that the label is the last one in the stack but rather that the outbound interface is not mpls enabled and therefore all remaining labels have to be removed before forwarding the packet to the outbound interface.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Yeah, That's correct, but what I meant was that the label is "last" to be popped, after that the packet may have one or more labels, in that scenario the packet would be dropped instead of being forwarded...

Is my understanding correct as above?

Thanks

Cheers,

~sultan

Sultan,

The untagged state will result in all the remaining labels in the stack being removed and the packet to be forwarded to the next hop, where it will be looked up against the FIB (assuming that it is an IP packet and not L2 stuff) and forwarded accordingly, which is probably not the desired behavior. "untagged" is definitely not the state you want to see when you carry a label stack.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Harold,

Thanks for explaining further, so now I think I have understood the same.

Thanks

Cheers,

~sultan

hi,

i not clearly understand the Untagged means ?

can some one explain ?

In simple words, a packet going out of an interface not enabled for mpls in a router enabled with tag-switching would have its outgoing label in the LFIB as 'untagged' ie there is no tag for this prefix and should be routed.

Thanaks gautam.

and POP tag means ?

For a connected prefix, a MPLS neighbor will advertise an 'implicit-null' to its LDP neighbor. The neighbor will have a pop tag for the prefix so that there is no MPLS lookup in the final hop. Pop tag is a special and valid mpls label, untagged means just that no tag.

Hope this helps. let me know if it does

gautham,u want to say like.....

Suppose RtrA and RtrB are connected directly and RtrA is advertising route 'X' as implicit null to RtrB than RtrB will put in LFIB for route 'x' as pop tag?

Only if 'x' is connected on rtr a

smithers_steve
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

This post is a bit old but I found an answer elsewhere and figured I would post it. Hope this helps.

The label operations are push, pop, swap, untagged and aggregate.

Push - impose a label. Can be a new label on an new packet or an additional label on an already labeled packet.

Pop - Remove the top label. If it was the last label remove and send as untagged. If it had multiple labels remove the top and continue to send.

Swap - swap the top label.

Untagged - all labels removed and forward the packet unlabeled.

Aggregate - all labels removed and an IP lookup is done on the packet.

This information comes from a great Cisco Press book by the way, MPLS Fundamentals by Luc De Ghein

Thank you,

Steve Smithers