cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Groups & Redundant indexes

emilyharris
Level 1
Level 1

First, I've read the Cisco Content Services Switch Redundancy Coniguration Guide for version 7.40 and version 8.10. I'm configuring active-backup VIP and Virtual Interface Redundancy. I like Cisco's documentation, but sometimes I just can't wrap my brain around their examples. In my case, they are just too simplistic; in addition, I have some unanswered questions:

1. What happens if I do not create a "critical service" ? Will my redundant services and content rules still maintain flows if my active goes down?

2. Do I need source groups in order for ASR to function properly? My stand-alone configuration does not use them, and I'd prefer not to add them if they are not necessary (Cisco docs are unclear on the necessity).

3. Is there any significance to the #s I choose for "redundant-index"? They just have to be different for each service/content rule, correct?

Thank you - I appreciate the feedback (I'm still waiting for a Cisco engineer to send me a redundant load balancer configuration with multiple VIPs.....)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

diro
Level 1
Level 1

1. critical service: is used to detect a failure in the netork that should lead to the failue(failover) of the css. So it is an option. most times it is also used for fate sharing: both virtual routers (client/server side) use the same critical service

2. Source groups are used for nat-ing they are not required for asr but if you have them in the normal design u should make them redundant

3. redundant-index: there is no significance

tip: don't forget global portmap

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

diro
Level 1
Level 1

1. critical service: is used to detect a failure in the netork that should lead to the failue(failover) of the css. So it is an option. most times it is also used for fate sharing: both virtual routers (client/server side) use the same critical service

2. Source groups are used for nat-ing they are not required for asr but if you have them in the normal design u should make them redundant

3. redundant-index: there is no significance

tip: don't forget global portmap

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: