cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

There is something wrong with ARP table!!!

zerozerotito
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my network diagram...

Server----3750---3560---2950---Host1

When i check arp table on 3750, i saw Host1 MAC address... I think i should see 3560 MAC address, right?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Routers and other layer 3 forwarding devices do rewrite the MAC address in the header. Switches and layer 2 devices forward frames without changing the MAC addresses.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

hgru
Level 1
Level 1

Wrong, you would see the mac adresses of server and host one if you send a ping between them.

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

If the 3750 have L3 interface (interface vlan) that is in the same subnet as host1, it is normal that you will see it's mac address in 3750's arp table. The router or L3 device will always have arp entry for the hosts in the subnet that routre is default gateway for or the router have interface for that subnet.

Please rate helpful posts.

Can you guys correct me?

WHen i ping to server, the host put its mac address to ping packet.. When this packet arrives to the first switch which 2950, switch will change the source MAC address as the port mac address which is connected to 3560 and so on... So when this packet arrives to 3750, how does 3750 knows the host MAC address... As i know, every switch and router change MAC address...

Im really stupid...:) The switches are on the Same VLAN... So it is normal to see them...

Thank you guys again...

Routers and other layer 3 forwarding devices do rewrite the MAC address in the header. Switches and layer 2 devices forward frames without changing the MAC addresses.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Depends if it is layer 3 of layer 2. When speaking strictly layer 2, the mac address of the host 1 distributed across the layer 2 network. Only at layer 3 does a packet require a rewrite. If this design you have here, is one flat Vlan, or that host resides in a Vlan on the 3750, that it would still be considered in the same L2 network, in which you will see the Mac address of the end device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: