cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace a 3750G in a configured stack

hhanson
Level 1
Level 1

I need to remove a configured 3750g out of a 7 unit stack. I want to replace it with another unit that is the same. How to keep the config correct an get the unit into the stack.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK... It's not quite clear what you're aiming to do.. if you want to just swap a switch out like-for-like then just do it (with the stack powered up).

If you pull out the switch you want to replace, when you do show 'show switch' you will see the switch listed as 'provisioned' I think.

At this point, you can do one of a few things:

1) If you just want to swap out a switch (i.e. the current one if defective) then put in the replacement. It *SHOULD* come up in place of the existing one. If not check the switch is the same type/port count as before... if it comes up as switch 8, you may be able to enter 'switch 8 renumber x' where x is the old switch number to get it back the way it was before...

2) If you are trying to get rid of the old configuration, and install a switch with blank config or install a different kind of switch, then you can enter:

no switch x provision

Where x is the switch number, this will remove the old config.

Put in the new switch, and it should add to the stack as a new one... If you want to change the number of the switch you can use:

switch 7 renumber 4

This would make switch 7 switch 4 after a reboot forced by using :

reload slot 7

Hope this helps...

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

proelke06
Level 1
Level 1

As long as your new switch is not the stack master you shouldn't have any problems. The current config is stored on all switches and changes are distributed by the stack master. All you should have to do is pull the current switch out and plug the new one in. As long as it is the same amount of ports, etc. it will receive the configuration from the stack master. If this switch is the stack master assign another switch a higher priority so that switch can distribute the configuration when the master is removed from the stack.

I guess I didn't make it clear. I want the new switch to take on the config of the switch I remove from the stack. If I remove a switch the config is still in the config of the stack and the switch still shows as a member of the stack. I want to remove the switch and install a new one in its place. When I do the stack shows a new member.

Thanks

OK... It's not quite clear what you're aiming to do.. if you want to just swap a switch out like-for-like then just do it (with the stack powered up).

If you pull out the switch you want to replace, when you do show 'show switch' you will see the switch listed as 'provisioned' I think.

At this point, you can do one of a few things:

1) If you just want to swap out a switch (i.e. the current one if defective) then put in the replacement. It *SHOULD* come up in place of the existing one. If not check the switch is the same type/port count as before... if it comes up as switch 8, you may be able to enter 'switch 8 renumber x' where x is the old switch number to get it back the way it was before...

2) If you are trying to get rid of the old configuration, and install a switch with blank config or install a different kind of switch, then you can enter:

no switch x provision

Where x is the switch number, this will remove the old config.

Put in the new switch, and it should add to the stack as a new one... If you want to change the number of the switch you can use:

switch 7 renumber 4

This would make switch 7 switch 4 after a reboot forced by using :

reload slot 7

Hope this helps...

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thank you Aaron. That is what I needed to know. The switch is defective and I want to keep the config of the stack. It is in a productive state and I did not want to disrupt the network for an extended time.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: