Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Rolling Out Avaya IP Phones

Unanswered Question
Aug 1st, 2006
User Badges:

Hi Guru's

Help needed. I have to roll-out Avaya IP phones on a cisco switches. Currently there is no VLAN defined on my network and the management does'nt want it either. I have to do it on our current network infrastructure by cascading new POE switches where my avaya IP phone will get connected. My Question is, will there be any problem? I got 2 gigabit uplinks to my core router. Is there any issue with regards to performance if I let my IP phone run on my current LAN without creating new Vlan for it.

I would appreciate any suggested solution. I already recieve the first 200 Avaya IP phones with me.

some parameters on switches configurtion will greately appreciated. and how can i enable Qos running on 1 vlan that runs voice and data.

Thank you so much and I hope to hear from anybody who experience the same scenario.

Regards,

Jeric.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mmorris11 Tue, 08/01/2006 - 05:39
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Other than the standard admonitions about a disregard for best practices in network management theory, yes this might work for you. In a Cisco IPC environment the most significant need for different vlans is to pass different dhcp options to the phones. This would be very sloppy within the same l3 segment. If you don't need that with Avaya, then life may be easier for you. QoS doesn't require separate vlans but makes it easier. You can certainly mark and queue traffic within the same vlan. I have experience with NEC ip telephony on Cisco networks so I know the pain of deviating from the Cisco prescription of converged networking. The one thing that may work in your favor is that in most switched lans media contention rarely occurs. But when it does it can be ugly. I have a question for you. Will your phones be providing ports for PCs? There is also the security aspect of coverged networking to think about.

jeric_saldua Tue, 08/01/2006 - 18:00
User Badges:

Hi,

Am glad to hear it.In response to your question if am going to provide ports for the PC's am still thinking about it. Am using Avaya IP phone Call Master which has 2 built-in lan ports. I can use the other lan ports for the pc. But that that's my secondary option. since I got enough ports both on my switches and the desk. Most likely phones are attached on the lan port separately with each workstation. my only worries is the LAN performances. I dont want my user to complain network slowdown after I rolled out my first 200 avaya ip phones.

Btw, whats the impact if I maximise the power supply of my switches to my IP phone ? have any idea of the standard practice ? i.e. how many phone can it support to works properly.

thans again and am lookin forward for your reply.

Regards,

Jeric

kleo Sun, 08/20/2006 - 08:59
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

The avaya 4622 IP callmaster phones are class 2 - 7W (IEEE 802.3af -2003@ 48V)

so use the cisco power calculator to work calulations. http://www.cisco.com/go/powercalculator

You should still enable qos on your data switch regardless if phones use seperate ports from pcs. Here's how a sample config would look like: (notice i'am trusing DSCP for phone port, you could also trust COS and make sure the avaya equipment is set for tagging signaling at cos3 and RTP at cos5)

qos map dscp 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 to tx-queue 4

qos map dscp 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 to tx-queue 4

qos map dscp 40 41 42 43 44 45 47 to tx-queue 4

qos map cos 3 to dscp 26

qos map cos 5 to dscp 46

qos

interface GigabitEthernet1/22

description AVAYA_phone only

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

no ip address

spanning-tree portfast

mls qos trust dscp

also, if you wish to disable the 2nd ethernet port on 4622 ip phones you must add the follwing to the script file 46xxsettings.txt - SET PHY2STAT 0

mrudenko Wed, 10/04/2006 - 19:14
User Badges:

Shouldn't an L2 interface be configured for mls qos trust cos?

jrhofman Tue, 10/17/2006 - 06:25
User Badges:

I apologize for coming in late hear but I'm in the process of defining power requirements for a Nortel deployment. I was under the impression that the Cisco switches negotiate power to a Cisco IP phone through CDP. A 7940 will negotiate to 6.3 Watts and a 7961-GE to 12.9, etc. If you don;t have a phone that supports CDP the switch port allocates the full wattage of 15.4W. Hence another advantage for using a all Cisco solution.

based on your comment above regardging the Avaya 4622 using only 7W it appears that I am mistaken. I this correct?

Tommer Catlin Tue, 10/17/2006 - 08:18
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Also, those that are trying POE for any type of IP phone, Cisco, avaya, whatever... I just got bit on a project where my 48 port POE blades in my 4006s, I reused the blades in the 4506, but later found out that these 48ports were some kind of early POE adopters. I couldnt figure out why my access points would not get POE from the ports, when my 7940,7960s would get POE fine. Turns out, the blades did not have the capabilites for the newer 802 standard to power the AP's.

http://www.altair.org/labnotes_POE.html

jrhofman Tue, 10/17/2006 - 10:54
User Badges:

Alright, I think I've got my answers.

If the IP phone support IEEE 802.3af classification the switch will negotiate a power based on the Class.

I believe the standards are:

0 (default) = 15.4W

1 = 4W

2 = 7W

3 = 15.4W

CDP provides additional tuning to reduce power requirements. An example is the 7961-GE phone. This is a Class 3 phone and per the IEEE standard would take 15.4W. CDP negotiates this down to what it really needs which is 12.9W.

Actions

This Discussion